1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where can i hear a G&L L2500 in action?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by lovenotfear, Mar 3, 2008.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    what artist play these (G&L L2500 ), what songs and or albums can i listen to, to hear one being played, or do some of you have clips, why is it so hard to find a G&L L2500, not alot of people sell them, or am i looking in the wrong place, i dont hear alot about G&L's at all is the company doing ok?, anyway i know they are good quality, i own a G&L legacy strat i bought in 1995, and it is still going strong.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Revis- Places for Breathing album.

Bass player is also a TB'er.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Here's Ed playing the L2K (same sound but with one less string).

and click on "Audio clips"

4. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
  5. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    cool i will check these out, are there any other main stream artists that use it as well (BIG label Artists)? dang revis rocks by the way, i did not know who they were, but i have heard caught in the rain, i am buying that cd, i did not not that was them.

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Go to the website, look at the artists list.

7. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i did, and that's why i am asking you guys, none of the artist on the G&L web site except the Revis stuff, play them anymore, i looked up all of them and could not find a video or song where they said they were using a G&L L2500, most of them were using fenders, and the guy who did the audio clips on the web site now is using warwick, so that is why i want to know if anyone is currently using the bass, is there any video's of bands on you tube, or anyone on i tunes etc...., alot of the info on the G&L website is outdated, i know there is a few video's where they is slapping on a tribute etc or usa l2500.. but i want to hear one being used in rock, or country, or pop etc.. so i can get a good listen to what a l2500 can do. thanks guys.

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    It's always a crap shoot to hear what bass was used on a song in the studio. It could be anything or something entirely different than what people say they used.

Have you played an l2500 yourself? I think that would give you the best idea of what it is capable of. If you like Stingrays, Pbasses, or Jazz basses, you will certainly like the L-2500. It is a good mix of all of those. Of course, it has a bit of it's own character mixed in. I don't know that you'd get an accurate representation of the bass even if you could find a few studio songs where one was used.

9. I agree with Eublet. It's probably best to try it out for yourself and fiddle with the controls A LOT.

When listening to sound clips it's hard to determine what setting they're dialing in when playing since the L2K is capable of a lot of very different sounds. I've seen lots of people trying them out based on what they heard and then put the bass up for sale because they "couldn't dial in a tone they liked" or "didn't like how the controls worked." Ed Friedland's demo of the L-2000 is probably the best representation since he goes through all the switches, but it does show how well it does in a band setting. (FYI it does great in a band setting.)

10. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i have been able to hold one and turn it on and pluck a string in open position, they have a used one at sam ash in vegas, in fact it is the only G&L instrument that i have seen in vegas since the late 90's, no music stores here have anything from them, the one at sam ash has been hanging there for 3 years at least, and the neck is horribly bowed, it is not even playable the action is so high, it is at least half an inch high off the fretboard, it is that bad, and the luthier there has yet to fix it, and the sales guy said he would sell it to me with the lutier fixing it, for $1099.00, i think this may be a little high considering, and he wont budge on it, not only that, i think who ever the previous owner was liked big fat necks, the neck is like a board, i know G&L has neck options, and he must have ordered the biggest, anyway, why is it so hard to find G&L stuff, do they advertise much these days? do they get many orders from guitars stores these days? or is it just vegas that does not get any G&L's, and they are big in other states. i wonder?

11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    True, but to be honest, Ed's demo of the bass kinda turned me off to it. It just sounded very thing, but of course he's recording with a home camera, using the built-in mic. What struck me when I tried out the L-2500 was how big and fat it sounded. TOTALLY different than what I had heard, even different from the clips at the G&L website. It's fatter sounding than a Ray or a Jazz bass, yet it still retains all the growl if not more. I would highly recommend that someone get their hands on one, not look for recordings alone. I know that's not always possible, and I've gone out looking for recordings myself many times.

12. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    yes that is exactly how i feel, ed is a great player and so is the guy on the G&L web site, but it is slap stuff, and sounds thin, i want to hear what else it can do, i heard it cops a good p bass sound, and gets a good meaty stingray tone with a little more low end, is this true?

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The answer is a MASSIVE YES! The slap tone is very thick also. Listening to Ed's demo, you can hear the attack and growl of the bass. It's aggressive. What the mic didn't pickup was the low-end chunk of the bass. It is very deep, much more so than a Stingray, and it is also a touch more aggressive. It's not a Stingray tone though. It's an evolution of it.

It's hard to describe. Running in HH mode, it has the open, clarity of a Jazz bass with that burpy attack. It has the growly mean-nes of a Ray. It has the chunky bottom of a Pbass. Soloing the neck pickup is VERY P-like since the pickup position is very close to where the P split coil would be. Of course, the body feels and looks like a P, so you'll be in familiar territory. These were design goals of Leo's in the L2000.

Soloing the rear pickup is Jazz-like. It's not as convincing as the P-bass emulation, but it's useable. It's definitely not like a Ray when soloing the rear pup, so don't expect that at all. The blended pups together is closest to a Ray, but with more "chunk" thanks to the neck pup.

It's a very full tone. I described my first impressions with it another thread here in the G&L forum, called "G&L Convert" or something like that. To sum up, I've been looking for a MEATY bass with growl for a long time. Ray's didn't do it for me, although I love them. The Jazz is great, but not growly enough. P-basses are awesome in their own right, but I wanted a bit of that chunk to go into a growl. The G&L does all that. I'm very happy, and I've played and owned many basses in an attempt to find this.

14. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

thanks for your description, that helps allot, i want a lot of growl from a bass, and the stingray has allot of growl and zing, but i have always wanted more low end charactor to it, and i have a jazz deluxe v bass and while it is good, it gets muddy sometimes and i want more clarity and high end zing sometimes, so i take it from your description that the L2500 could probably get me what i want all in one bass, so i could have modern and vintage tones both, cool!

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Definitely. I didn't think the l2500 had much zing when I first played it at home with new strings, but it was on a small 110 combo with no tweeter. When I got it on my gig rig, it had a bit to it. Depending on what you mean by zing, you may or may not want more. It has something of an old school sound with zing, which is perfect for me. If you mean zing as in modern, MTD-type thing, then definitely not. It's brighter than a Jazz if you want it to be, especially since the their are two active modes, regular, and regular with treble boost. Essentially it has a "bright" option. Works great for slap, and that neck pup keeps it thick and pounding on the bottom end.

I think that it'll take you (and me) a bit of time to get used to the controls. The treble and boost are passive style cut-only. Having said that, the natural tone is very deep and rich, meaning that you might want to run with the bass cut a bit to get the sound you are after. That's a different approach, but the end result is the same. If you run the bass flat (all the way up) then it can be so thick that it does get a bit boomy in certain situations. You'll figure all that out though. It's just nice to know that the tone is in the bass.

What's cool is that these tone controls work even in passive mode. You lose a bit of gain going to passive from normal active, but the tone is almost the same, perhaps a little less zing. Of course, going from active w/treble boost to passive is more significant. But at least you don't have a massive issue. That's nice when you're battery dies mid-set. You just switch to passive, roll up the gain on your head, and keep running.

16. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    sounds good to me, i think i am going to get me one, i definately dont like the mtd zing, i just like some high end growly zing, but not to tinney if you know what i mean, thanks for you input.:)

17. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    I wanted a sound akin to John Wetton on the first Asia album. The growl on Only Time Will Tell wasn't coming from anything for me until I picked up a 2K.

Another good example is Jay Bentley on the intro to Shades of Truth from the No Substance CD.

Those are 2 growly bass sounds I really dig that I get with the 2K.

Now I have it dialed to where it may have too much growl for others but it makes me smile. :D Ain't that what counts?

Jim

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I enjoy a growly bass myself. The funny thing historically is, the more growl in the bass, the more people tell me how great it sounds. I don't play in a rock context either. I received more compliments when I played a Stingray 5 than I did playing a host of other basses, including Modulus, Ibanez (SR's, BTB's, SRX), Fenders (jazz and P), Warwick, just to name a few. It was constant for people to tell me they loved my bass when I played the Stingray. Problem for me was that I was boosting the bass to make it sound fatter, and it would dip into the muddy category sometimes instead.

I've only had the L2500 for a short time, but to instantly feel connected with the bass, the feel, and the tone was great. To have others who have watched me go through all the basses mentioned above get excited about my tone says a lot to me. They are bass players as well, and I've been playing through the same rig in the same place at church for quite some time, so it wasn't the location that made the difference. It was the G&L.

I have an outside wine festival gig this Saturday with a Latin combo, and I'll be taking the L2500 and my Genz Benz setup. I can't wait to see how it goes!

19. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    exactly, who cares what others think, in fact the more the sound man tells me to turn it down, the more i want to turn it up, i want to feel the rumble, i like it loud, most us bass players are def.:smug:

20. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    You know, it's funny you mention that, because I am told to turn down occasionally as well. But this past Sunday at church the sound guy (who is a gigging bass player himself) told me that he had turned me way down in the mains because I was so loud, but it just sounded so darn good that he couldn't bear to signal that I needed to come down. I was having such a good time that I doubt I would have noticed him. This is in a very progressive church, that gets pretty loud. We had this black music minister in from Detroit as a guest, and we were doing a bunch of gospel and urban tunes. It was just sick. Lots of fast paced chromatic walking, hip-hop grooves, slapping, etc. Just nasty gooves in the pocket. Very long and drawn out songs like you'd expect to see in many charismatic black churches. It was just a blast, and the L2500 through the Genz Neo-pak 212/112 rig was right at home. I couldn't have been happier, unless it had been Andrew Gouche himself playing instead of me. He has such an amazing feel in that context!