1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where can i print the noteds of the neck?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maskedman72, May 19, 2011.

1. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    does anyone know of a site where i can print the notes on the neck, like those posters that have a photo of the neck with all the notes written on it? i dont know any of that stuff.

2. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Google is your friend.

Or, try this; sit down, draw up a chart, and write them all out yourself. Then make separate charts for any (or all or all) of the scales. Old Skool admittedly, but the mental processing you'll go through vs. clicking the Print button can be a valuable learning aid.

3. Vr6spd

Vr6spd

Feb 14, 2011
    Whiteman AFB MO
    studybass.com

4. catyak

catyak

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    What timing - just did this in Excel for the major and natural/harmonic/melodic scales so that I could see the difference between the bass and violin. The exercise was really worth the effort. I just hope that I did it right.

[​IMG]

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  6. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
  7. I used to rely on fretboard diagrams. But it's easier if you learn your fretboard.

There are 12 notes. Starting on C, it goes C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B, and then back to the octave of C.

Going from one of these notes to the next (For instance, C to C#) is one half step. Each fret on your instrument will raise the note one half step.

So, an E string will produce an E note when hit open. If you fret the first step, it moves that up a half step. E has no sharp, so you go up to F. Then if I go up one more to the second step, it's an F# (or a Gb, they're the same pitch).

use the fretboard diagram if you need it for reading music immediately. But wean yourself from it and start counting up the fretboard. Eventually you'll learn to recognize certain spaces. 12th fret is an octave, 5th fret is a fourth up (the same pitch as the next string). 7th fret is a fifth of the root note, or an octave of the note below it. But you should learn these yourself first -- but keep the fretboard diagram handy in case you get stuck.

8. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    yes, i wanted to "see" the notes on the neck to be able to look at the patterns and see if the patterns would help me memorize things. so there is no such things as E# or Fb.

9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
  10. +1....and it lets you pick your number of strings and tuning....I was gonna ask Stumbo where the other string was!!
    :bag:

11. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    that link is great! thanks!!!

12. I've heard people refer to an F as an E# in certain instances with certain keys. In general, however, E# and Fb do not exist. ou will simply jump from E to F.

13. Yes, they do exist, as do B# and Cb. They're just not very common. You need to know this to be able to make sense of particular scales and keys. But a beginner probably doesn't need to know this right away.;) And let's not get into double flats and sharps....

14. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Even tho it's rare, It is important to understand when and why you would call the note an E# instead of an F, or an Fb instead of an E.

It's the same reason why you choose to name a note F#vs Gb , or C# vs Db ...or any enharmonic note over the other.

The basic reason depends on what key your in. In any single key you will have only 7 "named" notes, and Each letter gets used only once.

So for example the key of D major has the notes :
    D E F# G A B C#
    Even tho the C# and the F# could also be called Db and Gb, if you did that, It would break this rule:
    D E Gb G A B Db
    now ya got 2 D's and 2 G's but no C or F....which looks really bad and hard to follow if notated.

You would use E# instead of F in any key that already uses an F#, and Fb instead of E for any key the already uses an Eb. These keys are uncommon, as mentioned.

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    That right there is the most bestest explanation ever! In classical music you often encounter these notes, like E #....and I always wondered WHY! Your explanation makes total sense.

16. Thanks! This is a great explanation for something I had been wondering. However, I didn't feel a beginner needed to get into all of that.

17. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    poster.
    This was posted by a TB'er
    I'd like to give credit...but I can't remember who it was!!!

Please let me know..awsome job

18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I wish I had these resources when I was learning...