Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where Can I Send My Neck For Fingerboard Work?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SamHD, Jan 21, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Hello, I have GTX-200 4 string Bass, which is nothing spectacular, but since it was my first bass (pawn shop find), I am very attached to it. I've upgraded the pickups to Bass Lines, changed the pods to 4 ohms, and the sound is actually decent. I'm now tinkering with the idea of converting the fingerboard to a Lined Fretless with Dot Markers, on Ebony. It's currently fretted on rosewood.

Is there a place I can send the neck to get the work done? I'd like to keep the stock neck/head to keep it somewhat original instead of replacing the entire neck.

Thanks for you help.

Sam

2. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Do it yourself, go to projectguitar.com or just do a search. I wouldn't spend the money on getting a new fingerboard since the luthier will charge you 3-5 times what you paid for the entire bass. Converting a bass to fretless is very easy for the careful amateur.

3. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks syberslack. I might just do it myself like you suggested. I just checked out the site you mentioned... great stuff!

Thanks,
    Sam

4. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Well I looked on "project guitar" and there is no tutorials on defretting, i thought there was. But you can do a search on google, defretting a bass neck, and bet you'll find it. You can even "ebonize" rosewood by using ebony die. There are many low cost things people do.