Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I try a Carvin in NY?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leco reis, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    Any ideas how can I try a Carvin in NY?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unless you find one used, you can't because Carvin sells direct. It really sucks actually.

3. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I know , does any one knows of a used one in any store or someone that has one?

4. don't they have a 10 day try-out policy?

I bought mine when I was in PA and didn't return it. I still have it. A very good instrument. AC-40

5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Well, I've got two, but I don't know how the logistics would work out. My practice space is in a private home in Westchester that is not mine, and it not being my place I can't just willy-nilly invite people in there.

If you paid for tolls, parking and some gas I suppose I could possibly come to you one evening. Do you have an amp?

I wish the timing were better. I'm GASing for a Bongo, and might sell my main Carvin to get one. But not right away...I need to do an A/B shootout between my Carvin and the Bongo...and it will take three months to get the Bongo I want (special order) if I do decide to pull the trigger.

BTW: The basses are a fretted 1997 LB75A that has been significantly upgraded with Bartolini pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, (that's the bass in my profile photo) and a fretless BB75P with the P-series electronics. Both have TI Jazz Flats on them.

6. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    well very nice of you to offer but since you upgraded for barts would not be the carvin sound.
    I would like to hear the carvin pickups
    thanks anyway

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Check around some of the used music stores in NY.

8. tc99

tc99

Mar 25, 2005
    Long Island
    Guitar Center in Commack Long Island has a few used ones you could try.

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    IMO, one of Carvin's biggest faults is the lack of a few stores similar to their SoCo retail stores. I'm not talking GC amount - NY/Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, somewhere in the west... 5-10, max.

The ability for people to enter a retail store, play an instrument close to what they'd order, and then place the custom order online or by phone would easily be worth the cost of running a few B&M storefronts, as well as an easy way to get "10-day returns" out the door on a wider scale.