Where can we sell used strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Jan 30, 2005.

1. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    Now that we can no longer sell used gear on Talkbass, it is very hard to find a place where we can buy and sell used gear - especially strings. As upright players, a lot of us like to experiment with different kinds of strings. Talkbass used to be a great source were we could meet and talk about our trials and errors and try other bass players' used or new strings.

I understand that the reason the "for sale" forum was closed is because mainly in the Electric Bass forum commercial sellers were posting things without paying. O.k. - so why dont we have a forum just for buying or selling used strings? That would be very nice.

Does any one know of any other websites or anything were bass players can do this?

Also, it used to be nice because if we bought a set that did not work well on our basses, we could at least sell them to another bass player and make up some of our lost cash - in a fair way, while other bass players benefited.
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    The FS forum is not closed, it just requires a supporting membership to post items there. $20 a year ain't bad. In fact, my SM ran out last week, so I renewed this weekend, but it probably won't take effect until tomorrow; I gotta tell ya, I feel naked without it!
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    There's always ebay...
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  5. Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
  6. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    what is the membership cost? like 20 bucks?
    just do it. talkbass is great!
    I used to be a supporting member and I am about to renew my membership, in fact I think is very nice that we can participate without contributing.
    20 bucks a year!!! for the kind of information we are exposed to and all of that!
    I know I am renewing in the next few days.
  7. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    True, but if you are like me (and a lot of us are) and have been out of work for 7 months, website memberships ain't gonna happen.

I hate the new policy. Not because I have stuff to sell, but I like being able to see MORE stuff for sale than has happened since the new policy. I've bought 2 great items that I would have missed under the new policy because the guy selling didn't normally have internet access and wouldn't have paid $20 for something he would never use.

I just think that there are other better ways to get more people to sign up, like members only photo galleries, forums, etc.

Monte (a former member :( )
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just to restate what has been stated in countless PM's and emails - this is Paul's policy and not mine or Sam's. He put it in place because of problems on the BG side, and we asked to leave the DB side out. Paul felt that it was only fair to apply the policy across the whole board. It is also worthwhile to note that most of the "Reported Post" complaints about non-supporting members posting in DB FS come from disgruntled BGers. :eyebrow:

However much I wish the old policy were still in place, it's Paul's baby and I think we should respect his wishes. Just look at all of the great things he's supplied for free! I've learned more here about basses than anywhere else, and I could have learned all that stuff just as easily without ponying up. It ain't perfect, but I think the glass is still half full. :)

Also, didn't somebody try to start a "Strings Trade" forum a while back? That might be useful again now that the rules are different...