Where can you buy wal basses from in the uk.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 28, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Are there any shops in the uk that sell wal basses or can you buy them direct from wal?

What sort of price range do standard mach I 4 string basses fall into?

Thanks in advance.
  2. [dfire]knight

Mar 30, 2002
    bend, or
    i would say (dont know for sure) in the 3K plus range.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I 've tried several Wal basses in the Bass Centre in Wapping, London. They were about £2,000 - add on half as much again roughly for dollars.

I have also seen the odd one or two in other shops in London, sold used - saw one in the Bass Cellar in Denmark Street.

Must say that I didn't like any of them - too bulky, very thick necks and very heavy - but the biggest problem was that I couldn't get any decent sounds out of the onboard electronics - very quirky! Even the Bass Centre's manager couldn't get what I would consider a decent basic tone out of these!! ;)
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Bass central in Florida are a dealer, maybe buying from the US may be easier for you.

RE the elctronics-in passive mode the tone controls (one for each pup) work like a standard tone; back it off to make the sound muddier. The tone knobs have a switch that coverts it into a sort of parametric eq with a fixed boost and Q. The sweep ranges are slightly different for each pickup.

This system is very versatile and 'quirky' is a good description. Excellent basses I have come close to purchase on more than one occaison but never took the plunge.
  5. You can contact Electric Wood in the UK and order them directly. They are built to order so you may have to wait a few months. Bass Central usually has some in stock so if you are in a hurry I'd contact them first.