1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where can you find a 1/4 or possibly 1/8 size basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lloccmttocs, Aug 15, 2007.

1. My violin friend's sister wants to learn bass but she's really little where can I find basses for her size?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Right here. :D

Seriously, how small is this person?

3. well, she's about 9? maybe 10. And she doesn't come from a tall family so she's probably about 4' or something I don't know how tall girls are at that age. I only saw her breifly once.

4. Perhaps a 4/4 cello might be a good start for that age / size. A friend of mine recently picked up a sweet Kay 3/4 cello for $200. Engelhardt-Link sells these for just under $1000. I think Charles Mingus played cello when he was young and Dave Holland played one while recuperating from illness. It is a "little bass". Lemur has the smallest one (1/4) I've seen that is actually tuned like a DB.

5. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Here's one of my customers ... I believe here he was not yet three years old playing a 1/10 size with mom accompanying him on Piano. My suggestion is for a girl of 9 you might want a 1/4 size bass

Attached Files:

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Yep, 1/4 or 1/8 should be fine. A visit to your local shop for a measurement should do it.

Yay, another teenie little bassist! Those little squirts look so cool when they're playing.

7. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    John,
    I think its probably hard to image for most that this 1/10 size bass is actually about the size of one of those Hofner violin shaped basses (Paul McCartney bass) turned sideways.
    And yes, I couldn't agree more that especially this little one looks amazing and bowing no less ... lololwant to upload 1/4 size bass

Here's a pic of MY 1/4 size Wilfer which is NOT for sale by the way

Attached Files:

8. rftbass

rftbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Waterford, CT
    Maybe the Richard Davis Foundtion can give you some info

"Due to the imposing size of a 'full-size' bass a child must generally be 14-16 years of age in order to handle the instrument successfully. Currently, the smallest size bass that is normally available is 1/4 size, which is still too large for children under the age of ten. Additionally, the supply of 1/4 size instruments is limited and cost is high. Children under the age of 10 will need 1/8 or 1/10 size instruments, both of which are extremely difficult to find and very costly to purchase (over $2000). "

http://www.richarddavis.org/foundation/background.html

9. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Children under the age of 10 will need 1/8 or 1/10 size instruments, both of which are extremely difficult to find and very costly to purchase (over $2000). "

http://www.richarddavis.org/foundation/background.html[/QUOTE]

This is completely wrong ...
    I have about 25 1/10 size carved basses for anyone who would like to buy them ... and plenty of 1/8 and 1/4 size basses as well. These are all European and none are prices at $2,000 ... email me or PM me for anything further on this since it's bordering on breaking the TB rules

10. What about taking a cello and tuning it like a bass? do you need special strings to do that?

11. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I think the point is there is no point in doing so, as correctly sized basses are readily available. We make an eighth, so do others. An eighth is pretty darn small. :) Most shop rental programs will have them. Have you checked out the shops in your area?

I think the Richard Davis info is pretty well out of date.

12. The 1/4 size Lemur offers is well under $2000. I don't think they have an 1/8 size.

13. One professional that I know bought cellos for his children and put bass strings on them.

14. I started on a cello with bass strings. It worked fine, as far as I can remember (long time ago), but if you have access to a 1/4 or 1/8 bass in a good price range, that would probably be the best idea.

15. bassesonline.com for small sizes down to 1/10