Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can you get the lowest prices for Elixers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 16, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm considering Elixirs for my 5 string fretted basses. I've searched the forum and read a number of informative posts on these unique strings.

My question is where is best place to get a low price on these strings? With an average discounted price of $50 a set for 5 strings, Elixers are not cheap. If you're paying less than $50 for a 5 string set, where are you buying them from?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
  3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks Conical J! But after $6 shipping from Just Strings to Hawaii is added in, I'm back up to $51+, so I may as well buy them here (they sell in the low $50s).

I guess I'm looking for an online store that might be selling a 5 string set for $30-$40, then it would be worth my while to order online. Thanks Con!

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    No prob, Bob. Sorry it wasn't too much help, though. Shipping is surprisingly cheap to Hawaii! Although I've never played them (part of the reason is the price), I've looked around for cheap Elixirs to see if I liked them; they tend to be real expensive - oftentimes $60-$65. So $50 isn't too bad. You could give EXP coated strings a shot; they're cheaper. Don't know if they're what you're after, though. Good luck!

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    FWIW I have a guy who own's a powder coat business. Also plays guitar. I buy sets of cheap bulk Bass strings, like 15 sets of 4 from Musicians Friend or GC and take them to him. He powder coats them in whatever color I want and they feel just like Elixir's. They also hold up a little longer. If there is a powder coat business around you check it out. It's basically a means of painting metal. Spray it with an electrically charged paint and then bake it. Works awesome.

6. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Is that the same as anodizing?

7. swr

swr

Apr 12, 2000
    Maryland
    Not to change subject, but did any of you guys ever get a free set of Elixers in the mail about 4-5 years ago. I'm curious if anyone else did and if they remember why we got them.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I never got my free set. I'm just looking for a cheap set right now, like less than $40 for a five string set.

9. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know how sold you are on the Elixirs but have you considered the D'Addario EXP coated strings? I've never tried the Elixirs but I do have set of EXPs in use right now. I like them and they are definitely in that price range you're seeking.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ebozz,

do they eventually molt stuff off of the strings like the Elixers? not that it's a bad thing.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm not sure if I understand your question. Can you straighten me out?

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I searched the forum for guys who played Elixers. Some said that after awhile, some of the coating on the string starts "molting" off the string.

So you got this stuff hanging off the string when you're playing, after awhile.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I got ya now. I haven't noticed anything like that yet. To be honest with you, if I hadn't installed them myself I don't think that I would even know that they were coated.

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Try eBAy. I've bought several sets off eBAy with BIN prices of 30 to 40 bucks for 5 string sets. Just do a search for Elixir Bass Strings when on the site.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I've been seeing the ads in BP mag.

Interesting how that one poster said that he noticed that the EXPs don't "have that stringy stuff coming off them like Elixers".

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :D Well, you know that he is one of the people that you see quoted in the ads. I have a chance to communicate with him a few occasions and I would consider him to be a pretty stand up guy. I guess it still doesn't hurt to remember which side of the fence he's on. ;)

19. This is very true, I lent an E I had lying around and gave it to a friend of mine because he broke his, granted it is at least 8 months old, the thing is fury, it's kinda funny because no 2 strings on his bass are the same, E- Elixir, A-D'addario, D- Fender, G- Boomer I think.

20. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    The original coated sets were wound like normal and then coated. The EXP's have coated windings which are then wrapped onto the strings. This is why they play for a little longer before shedding. The question is, why does anyone think that coating a string will improve the sonic properties? Especially when you're using magnetic pickups.