Where could i find Michael Manring's transcriptions

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by bassdreamer, Apr 24, 2004.

1. bassdreamer

Jul 3, 2002
    I saw Michael in Paris about two months ago, it was really amazing!!!! thanks a lot!

I'm looking for some transcriptions and particularly the song "sugar".
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thank you! I'm sorry to say I haven't gotten around to transcribing "Sugar" but the Hal Leonard company did release a complete transcription book of my CD Thonk a few tears ago. I think it can be found on some music merchandise web sites.
  3. Etbass

Apr 26, 2007
    Cooranbong, NSW
    Is that pretty much the same as the one on Bass Day '98? I think Hudson Music may have a transcription book for most of the stuff that happened there, but I'd like to see how free I could get the transcript.

I loved the song so much I ripped the whole DVD to mp3, cut Sugar out, and put it on my ipod. :smug:
  4. Gsus

Jun 24, 2005
    :p I transcribed it myself.

For the most part it's pretty accurate. There were some things that couldn't be written (i.e., the string pulls on one of the choruses), and others that were too fast for my skills at that point. I did this last year? Two years ago? It's been a while now.

It's a tab. I do know standard notation, but can't write it well for bass (I'm classically trained on trombone, and therefore can read and write bass clef, but transcribing tab to standard notation seems like more trouble than it's worth considering most people interested in the tab already know how it sounds (and looks) like the back of their hand.

Also, no rhythm. Yes, I can write rhythms as well, but I didn't at the time.

Hey, maybe I should fix it up and write it in standard notation, and see if Hal Leonard would pick it up :p :p

But seriously. PM me and I'll send you the tab.

EDIT: I transcribed Sugar. Don't know how I left out the name of the song in the first place. I also have a DVD of his that has a tiny transcription book for some songs from Thonk. If you have a good enough ear though, I'd recommend trying to transcribe it yourself. Between having DVDs and videos online, and hearing the actual notes, you should be able to do some of the simpler songs. I've done this with Snakes Got Legs, Monkey Businessman, and most of No Wontons For Elvis. Much of Michael's other stuff escapes me.

Good luck!
  5. Well, ya know, there is a bass day CD....