Where did Alembic get its name?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Nov 13, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

why Alembic instruments got that name? I mean, most musical instruments are named after the luthier's last name (Fender, Zon, Pedulla...), others have music-related names (MusicMan) and others are a corporate name (Yamaha). But what the hell has an alembic to do with a bass? (maybe the Wickersham family also produces alcoholic beverages along with basses?) I looked in their website but couldn't find an answer. Just curious.
  2. From Wikipedia:
    Maybe they mean "alembic" as in that refining or transmuting concept - "the alembic, or refining, of bass guitars"? Just an idea, as I have no clue what the actual reason is.
  3. its true...the guy got his start by modifying jack cassidy's and phil lesh's basses...that makes sense
  4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    from the logo explanation on the website -

General: Mankind takes everything available in the universe and in an infinite search for wisdom, focuses energy into the alembic resulting in the purest goal.

Specific: Alembic utilizes all available materials and in their quest to learn, focuses their efforts in their factory and produces the purest of electric guitars and basses available.
  5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    wow Nspark, I thought you were superbassman when I read this post after just your reply.

Gotta lova Calvin and Hobbs
  6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I love this site! :D
  7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

8. everybody loves calvin and hobbes!
  9. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    ... or maybe you asked the question and got a funny retort :D
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Alchemy!! :)

Transmuting bass (sic) metals into Gold!! ;)
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Aren't the founders of Alembic hippies?

Hippies are into that whole alchemy/wizard/fantasy/Middle Earth scene.
  12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I do!