Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where did my BONGO go?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluke, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    After all this talk about the Musicman Bongo, i've yet to see them anywhere and i haven't noticed anybody here having tried one. So what happened, did they decide not to put it out (besides the first batch that they had already made) because, well, they realized nobody would want it? Even so it seems strange how little attention it has gotten. No reviews, nothing. Got any idea why?

http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/bongo

2. I would guess that they are being built right now and that they will hit the stores pretty soon. I think EB mentioned they would be available June/July.

3. i can see it now. they lose a ton of money on this stupid bass and fender buys the company. that would suck.

4. AFAIK, EB doesn't stuff their dealers with unwanted stock. Built-to-order only, so if there's no demand, they'll just stop offering them.

I may be wrong.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They probably just accidentally shipped them off to a chain of stores selling toilet seats. It's a mistake anyone could have made.

6. Too funny....I thought I saw one at Home Depot:meh: ...actually I kind of dig the bongo. I guess I'l have to try one out at GC.:meh:

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I know I'm in the minority, but I love the look of them. The red with black pickguard is very cool looking.

I probably won't buy one, I have a Stingray I rarely play because I don't need that sound anymore. The MM&J configuration looks interesting, maybe get a warmer sound. I bought a Lakland 55-02 with same pup configuration to get a stingray-like sound from the MM pup, but with the neck J for some more warmth and versatility.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The body shape isn't that bad, but the headstock does them in IMO.

With the ridiculous prices you have to pay in Germany, I won't see them often.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like the look, but the teenager in me wants to remove the second "O" on the headstock...

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    To me, the Bongo is kind of a dream come true. I was telling a friend a couple of months ago that my dream bass would probably be a Stingray, but with a similar body styling and feel of the Ibanez Ergodynes. This is pretty close as far as I can see. I will try one as soon as I see it...but Eric Martin from Martin Music has already told me he won't order any because he thinks their discusting. I'll find it somewhere.

~Patrick

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Then he's a fool. He should be ordering what his customers want, not what appeals to him personally!

12. I suppose that's precisely what he'll do when someone asks him for a Bongo. He just won't do it otherwise. ;) Certainly can't blame him.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, you get past the looks...

IT'S CALLED THE "BONGO"!!!

Sounds like a retarded monkey larry the bum stole from the zoo and keeps in his trash can.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There used to be a soft drink in England, popular with kids - called "Um Bongo" and every time this conversation comes up I keep hearing the awful song from the TV advert, in my head :

"Um Bongo, Um Bongo - they drink it in the Congo...etc" :mad: