1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where did you learn self restraint ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 7, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Where did you learn self restraint ? Much of it I learned out of necessity by living in enviorments of followed through consequences deffinetly encourged it.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    From my wife and kids. Up until I met my wife at age 24, my life consisted of me doing whatever I wanted, spending whatever amount of money I wanted to, and living my life with no real limits on anything. Sometimes for the good, but a lot of it was excesses in bad habits.

My wife grounded me right away when we met, and having two sets of young eyes on me all the time taught me restraint on a whole new level. I am thankful they came along. I seriously believe I could have been dead by now.

-Mike

3. So I need to get married?

Please Lord... don't take me... I'll try to make it better!!!!!!

LOL

Just joking...

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Interesting thread. Not a quality I see in large amounts these days! : )
    I think I learned this from a pretty disciplined upbringing and family background. I agree with MJ5150 that having someone look up to you really keeps you on your toes.

5. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Good question. I don't really have self-restraint. I always blurt out what I think or party to excess or get involved with trouble when I could easily have stayed out. I don't really understand, but I feel like I completely lack the judgement as to when to stop or where to draw the line. I've learned to keep friends around me I can trust to tap me on the shoulder and tell me to go home or shut me up or whatever because I really haven't got the capability to do it myself.

6. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Judging from the amount of questions you post here, I'd say you have some way to go before you know true self restraint.;)

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Here, on TB, handed out by John Turner & the mods of OT.

8. I learnt from one of the best places. Through a life of studying Martial Arts. I have studied Karate for 13 years (2nd degree black belt these days), 2 years of Wing Chun with one of the best teachers I have ever seen (both of martial arts and the ethical approach to various arguements etc.) and about a year of Capoeira. I don't think there is a better way to learn self restraint then to truely explore just what you are capable of. Once you actually witness what you are capable of in a controlled environment, you begin to understand when and where to apply you're training, both in the mental and physical sense.

9. Foster care. Nothing teaches you restraint like the constant threat of having 10 other boys beat the ever-loving crap out of you.

:)

Best thing that ever happened to me, by the way. Foster care, that is. Turned my life around, introduced me to bass... And taught me to think before I act/speak.

10. I learned self restraint at a very young age, stopping the temptation to touch the electric fence again, seems to have sticked since then.

11. EddieN

EddieN

Mar 21, 2007
    From having to deal with 3 retards in a band.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Years and years of asskickings.

13. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Where did I learn what now?​

14. The OT, especially on big fonts day.

15. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    My dad(head of a martial art organization, he's trained for about 42 years), my mom(she was a black belt too), my brother(older, bigger, and had the same martial art training I did)...they kept me in check but it was my grandma who taught me to stop and smell the roses or stare out of the window and appreciate the scenery.

Pops also taught me to appreciate bier...showed me there was a huge difference between enjoying a couple pints of great brew and drinking a whole case.

Now my babies, on the other hand, learn self-restraint by their rigorous training regimen I put them through. Dipping them in stockpots and leaving them to their own vices goes a long way. Dropping them off in the middle of the Australian Outback and watching them only kill what they can eat brings a tear to me eye. My last champion, Bo "He Knows" Jackson(yes, he's the son of who you're thinking of), survived 3 weeks in the Congo. I dropped him off in a helicopter and told him I'd meet him in South Africa in 3 weeks...needless to say he got to South Africa before I did. But he went back and stayed in Congo for fun...crazy bastard...

16. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Delta Battery; 1/79 Field Artillery, 4th Platoon. Drill Seagent Kempen. It took all the self restraint that I had and then some not to smack him...:D
    Of course, knowing that I would have been mobbed by about 12 of his buddies helpeda lot.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LMAO. :D Seriously. That's funny.

18. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Hmm... I live alone so I have nobody telling me what I need to spend my money on and what not. I spend money on the things I want and need. If I want to buy some nice expensive cheeses or a steak for dinner, I do so if the economy allows for it. If I want a new bass or something related to my hobbies, I buy it if I think my economy allows it and there's nothing else I need to buy first (like a washing machine, refrigerator, car reparation and so on). At least this is how it works most of the time. Not always though. For those cases, there's Visa... :bag:

I really enjoy being able to do what I want with my money. I don't miss having anyone asking me how on earth I could spend 250€ on that leather jacket (yes it was expensive but I really wanted it), or why I bought the duck fillet for 8 € for dinner a wednesday evening (=for no particular occasion) when I could get other food for less than half of that. Perhaps I'm practicing my cooking skills to impress someone with.... Cooking is one of my hobbies so I spend quite a lot of money on gourmet food. Not everyday though, but perhaps once a week.

If I had a GF I would likely have a slightly different approach to money-spending. If I had children I would have to reconsider my whole life. I wouldn't mind doing it though. I think.

When I was young, growing up with one twin-brother and later a sister and a brother, and two parents having low to average incomes, sure taught me I can't get everything I want. However, for the first time in my life I now have the opportunity to get me most of the things I want thanks to a good job and no (own) family. If feels good, although I know it won't last forever (or so I hope at least...)

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup, no end of questions - but no answers!! :p

20. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    letsee, i'm female, and i was raised catholic.
    i think it's time for me to get rid of all that self-restraint! :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021