Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where did YoU place your Thumbrest???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I put my thumbrest just above my p-bass pickups. This way my fingers play just below the pickups. I like the sound I get in this position. However, the strings are alot more rigid here... when i play closer to the neck I prefer the more relaxed feeling of the strings.

If you use a thumbrest where did you put it?

2. my thump rest on my p is just the pickguard itself. i've never had any trouble anchoring my thumb on the pickguard while playing, then again, arthritis and such could be a different story for others. if i HAD to put in a thumb rest, it'd be right over the bridge where i play the most.

3. when I play, my thumb is almost always on the corner of the fretboard, playing between my neck and my neck pup. If its not there, its on the first pickup

if I had to put one though, it would be in between the neck and the first pickup, so that I could play right over the pup

4. I usually rest my thumb on the pickup closest to the position I'm playing in, and on the neck edge when playing that close over the fretboard. So... I suppose there's no need for my playing style to even put one on a bass.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I sometimes rest my thumb on a pick up - but more and more I've been floating my thumb / resting it usually on the A or E string. I've also been playing farther and farther back (closer to the bridge) Usually as close to the bridge as I can stand to play, but I'll also move my hand closer to the neck sometime too if that's the sound I want to make. If I had to put a thumb rest on my bass - I guess I'd put it in that position you sometimes see them where they're under the strings - as in closer to the ground. That position never really made any sense to me at all from a playing point of view - but I can't imagine using a thumb rest for playing so at least it wouldn't get in my way.

6. if you played with your thumb like some of the first electric bassists did, you'd see the thumbrest under the strings makes perfect sense as a tug bar

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'd love to place my thumb on the pickup but my thumb is too big for the edge of the pickup that sticks out.

If I play with my fingers right over the pickups I find my fingers often hit the picksups making unwanted noises.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    On my Jazz bass, the thumbrest is where god intended it...up above the neck pickup.

Check out the black fretless in the picture:

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]
    See the two holes below the low E-string? That`s the place where I have finally placed the finger rest of my Fender Precision.I have snatched a white Tokai pickguard with pre-drilled holes on eBay and put the original Fender pickguard aside.This because over the years the material has become too porous to drill any holes in it.

10. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005

Attached Files:

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY

*drools* sweet PRS bass!!

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Thanks, brother!

And it could be yours...for the right price. ;)