Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do electric uprights fit in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Nov 30, 2003.

1. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I found a shload of info on the web on EUB's (electric upright basses)and came right back to TB and found not too much. (didn't search yet) Would they fit in the double bass forum since they're played the same, or in basses because it's an electric instrument?
    Not double basses with pickups, mind you, but solid body electric uprights. Is there enough interest around here for it's own forum? Am I just goofy? Is the moon made of cheese?

-RH[​IMG]

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    By custom, here at TB they're usually over on the doghouse side...

3. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Haven't heard "doghouse" for awhile. Makes me smile.

-RH

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm a bonehead. There's plenty of info here in the DB threads.

Next time I'll look around first... 'pologize.

-RH

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ed Fuqua did once post a definition - probably since deleted - and he considered anything with over 40" scale to be an electric Double Bass...

I think if you play it upright - then it does sit over here - but definitions are blurry. I mean - a lot of people who play 'real' Double Bass have low action and a lot of electronics included - pickups, piezos - and only play amplified. :meh:

I've heard real DBs on recordings that sound less 'authentic' or DB-like - than my EUB...honestly !! ;)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I do lust for a Zeta Crossover... 34" scale, and small enough to play horizontally if I wish.

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I have a Zeta Crossover, HeavyDuty, and I love it. The pickups have a unique sound, and the instrument is extremely well made. I thought it would take some getting used to, but even though the neck is not like any bass guitar you've ever touched (it's curved, like a DB), it felt quite natural to play. It gets dissed in reviews and discussions because it doesn't sound just like an upright, and it has the short scale neck, but I think EUB's have many uses, not just the one of sounding like a DB. also, the Zeta is super light (7 lbs, I think) and easy to play sideways (like a bass guitar). I'd say, follow your lust...

Also, I think an EUB forum would be great...

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Basically I think EUB fit in situations where there is a question of controlling feedback due to loud volume of music. Another instance is when an artist wants upright bass thickness but with a little more sustain than an acoustic upright delivers.
    Acoustic upright has a certain amount of air in the sound that makes it very buoyant and cushiony. This sounds great in certain types of music where EUB would not have as much character.

Also the size of performance space or stage is also a factor I consider when deciding which bass to bring. If the band plays low enough I almost always opt for the upright, but I've found that a lot of players who want upright sometimes play too loud to allow it to properly blend in. If I know this is the case beforehand I bring the EUB. When playing with acoustic instruments I feel it is everybody's responsibility to blend together instead of just putting a pickup on the instrument and turning up.

9. jessew

jessew

Oct 27, 2003
    new jearsy
    just curious about these EUBs, what brand has the cheapest model and what are they going for?

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i use my NS design EUB when i am playing in a jazz setting as in a trio- i also find it very useful in the Latin band i play in.... these things are great!!

11. Bruce Lindfield

I do the same - I have an NS CR5 and love it! I'm actually going to do some recording with a small Jazz group on Saturday - trumpet,sax piano and drums - I'll have to see if I can fool anybody that it's a real DB when they can't see it!! ;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

PS - I got a newsletter from the London Bass Centre recently and they said :

"NS upright basses are selling like hot cakes!! A magnetic 4-string for Colin Greenwood of Radiohead, a 5-string for our old mucker Paul Turner to use on the Annie Lennox tour and piezo 5s for Gareth Huw-Davids - all at sea with nautical favourite Jane McDonald - and ex Art Garfunkel bassist Micky Feat...."

13. My EUB is a Bassix, built by a chap on the south coast of England.

It's far, far cheaper (less than £1000) than most EUBs, and because it's semi-hollow you still retain a lot of the warmth of a full size UB. I get no feedback at all, even when playing with some of the loudest drummers I know. I can even stand in front of my amp..

You can hear it here.

It's got a magnetic pickup, with a blendable piezo on the inside of the body near the f-hole. There's also a seperate piezo in the bridge which I only use for recording. Engineers are really suprised when they hear it, as they're used to EUBs generally sounding like upright electric fretless basses. I think it looks pretty good, too...

[​IMG]