Where do good amps go...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M_Shannonigans, Mar 11, 2010.

1. M_Shannonigans

M_Shannonigans

Feb 18, 2010
    ...when they die?

I have a SWR 2x10 Workingman combo (pre-Fender buyout) that has seen its last gig. I can't imagine anyone would want to scrap this thing for parts seeing as it was heavily road-worn. It served me very well, but it's time to send her to the puppy farm so she can run and jump with all of her friends.

What I'm wondering is...do I just take this thing to the dump? I have no idea what you do with gear that weighs well over 50 lbs. Maybe this is a really stupid question, I don't know. Should I bring it to one of those Best Buy dumpsters that takes old electronics?

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'd pull the speakers and ask around the local repair guys to see if they want the chassis.

3. See if it's fixable within reason.

Or flog it on ebay in as-is condition (whatever the as-is, is)

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    At the waste transfer station (fancy name for dump) in my town, they take in old/broken electronics in a special bin, which is taken to a electronics recycling plant. Google for electronics recycling in your area.

5. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    give away for free. :cool:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    what's wrong with it?

7. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Great question!

It could be useful as a low/no cost cab to somebody. I try to recycle or re-purpose whenever I can.

8. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    I used a dead combo amp as a cab for a while. I just pulled the electronics and hooked up the speaker to a jack. Point is, it could be useful to somebody. Throw it up on CL for free, I'm sure somebody will take it.

9. Roadrunr

Roadrunr

Mar 1, 2010
    Va
    Where do good amps go

:meh:

to heben.

:bag:

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If it's functional, give it to a school, church, or a kid starting out. Lots of places would like to have a "backline" so the bassist doesn't have to schlep an amp.

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    +1 on the donation. Lots of worthy organizations and individuals in need. Some of the poorer ones might not use Craig's list (and certainly not TB) so ask around.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021