Where Do I Find A Band?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dday, Mar 11, 2002.

1. dday

Feb 22, 2002
    San Francisco
    Know any decent websites and/or 'zines that have "Musician's Wanted" listings? Here in the SF Bay Area we've got craigslist.org but it's dominated by so-called indie/college/hippie/sensitive guys who like Modest Mouse and some guy named Elliot Smith!

What's a trash-rock-jazz-punk-no-bull**** bassist supposed to do?!
  2. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey Dday,

Check out www.communitymusician.com. From there you can choose a more specific location to search. I think that website is based in SF so it probably has a lot of ads. Good luck!

3. Do they still put out Maximum Rock & Roll? Wasn't that based in the Bay Area? Seems like the always had classifieds, don't know how local they were, though. Haven't seen one in years.
  4. Move out to the East Coast.

Seems that out here, Bass players are always in demand. Any half way decent player can pick and choose the band that suits you.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm finding this out too. I mean, I'm not even anything special on bass, but it seems there are so many bands lacking a bass player out here.

Here are a couple websites you could try:

The Mode

Harmony Central
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You could try flyering, all the music stores, record stores, that kind of thing. Put an ad in the paper, but remember to be a bit vague, it's easy to give the wrong impression. You want them to want to call you to get more info.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

WHAT in the wide world of sports is someone living in such a flourishing scene like yours doing looking for opportunities on the net or in mags?!?!

Compose an ad about yourself and what you are looking for, make copies, and post them on the bulletin boards of every decent music store you can. Net and print ads tend to be static and many bands ingore them. But music store bulletin boards are fresh, for the most part, IME.

Be sure to include a lot of tear-off tabs with your phone/email for responses. I can guarantee responses.

If all that fails, (unlikely), try www.musician.com and www.themode.com as some good alternatives

If an existing band for your chosen style doesn't respond, just change those ads to "wanting to form a band" and state what your concept is.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You're kidding right? In one of the strongest music scenes in the country you can't find people to play with? :rolleyes:

Ads can work but in my experience I've never gotten into any real good gigs from ads, every great band I fell into was via word of mouth or meeting someone on a sub gig or at a jam.

You need to start networking with other musicians. Chat with players at shows you go to, start hanging where they hang, etc. You never know who will help you out, so just be positive with everybody and be patient.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can find bands in front of brick walls and near train tracks a lot too.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A big "amen" to what brianrost says. But the ads will get you opportunities. Once you get hooked up with a decent band, your name gets into the "word of mouth" network that the really good bands usually rely on. Some of the hot bands feel posted ads translate to desperation, either due to lack of skill or interpersonal problems. But you have to start somewhere.

One of my better gigs came from just trying out a bass in a music store, a guy from a well-booked band heard me, and the rest was history.
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, dday.

Networking is your best bet, but you can also place some flyers in places like Blue Bear school of music and CCSF.

You can post ads at Haight-Ashbury Music and GC, but do it at your own risk.
  12. Also - follow the scent of hairspray, and listen for shutter clicking

Good inside joke :)

I forgot the name of the site with all of those pics.
  13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

What on earth was the url for that fantastic website? :D
  14. Wyattryatt

Wyattryatt Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    lol i live in brantford ontario, i think there are at least 4 bass players in every one of my classes at school, there are so many indie bands here its uncanny, my band hasn't started up just yet, i just got a bass last thursday... there are alot of bassists here looking for bands.
  15. let yourself be discovered...;)