1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

where do I get just a truss rod nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I was playing a friend's bass today because mine's in pieces in my living room, and noticed some serious bow in the neck. looked to see if i had the tools necessary to tweak the truss rod a bit, and discovered there's no nut. just a threaded rod sticking out of the cavity a little bit.

it's a Yamaha PJ 4 string. body's very light (in weight), and dark in colour. mahogany? couldn't find any model number or anything on it. felt nice except for the bow in the neck...

is the nut a standard size? anyone know what size a yamaha might use? where to get a proper nut? i'd like to help him out by setting up his bass, but can't do anything without a trussrod nut...

Any ideas?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Go down to Long and McQuade's Bloor Street store and speak nicely to the guys in the repair department. They probably will have assorted nuts-you should be able to get one cheap. I don't know what your Yamaha uses as far as thread size but I imagine it's probably the same as used in dozens of other import basses.

You could also try Steve's Music on Queen Street if L&M throws you out.

I've always had good luck getting parts like this either free or cheap. It just depends on who you talk to, how you do it and how busy they are at the time.

While you're at it, get the proper size hex wrench for it. You may have to go to a hardware store with the nut to find the right wrench if the store doesn't have any loose ones laying around. They're cheap. If you go to a hardware store see if you can find some small metal washers that will fit on the threaded rod. You may need to put 2 or 3 under the nut to give yourself a bit more adjustment.

3. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005