1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do I get sheet music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FeltFedora, Nov 20, 2010.

1. FeltFedora

FeltFedora

Sep 10, 2010
    ...more specifically this is why I ask. I posted a while back about buying a bass. I finally did get it and also went out and picked up the TeachMeBassGuitar DVD's. ...then I decided to take some lessons. I was lucky enough to find a great bass teacher was able to schedule me for the same time my son is talking Sax lessons.

At the advice of my instructor I just signed up for an 8 week adult ensemble. Its a few guitarists, a drummer and me. I am wicked nervous about this as I have literally never played with a group and am still VERY new at this bass thing. My instructor says I am ready and I agree that I do need to get out playing with others to increase my learning and confidence. Its way outside of my comfort zone but I am pumped up to do it. Being the only bassist I want to do a great job too and not look like more of a fool than I am.

I guess we are doing 8 songs. The first two we are doing will be Oye Como Va by Santana and Hideaway by John Mayall. I was hoping to get my hands on some sheet music (I am trying to learn how to read music as well..) for these songs. Is there a resource (website) I can go to to get this sort of thing? Or is it up to the bass player to figure it out by ear?

Thanks for any advice or help.

2. The Internet is full of sheet music, now it may not be correct, and it may not be what you want -- tab for 6 string guitar would not help me with a bass line. I would want bass cleft standard notation or fake chord or lead sheet showing the chord name and yes, armed with only the chord name then I would decide how much of the chord to include in my bass line. http://www.google.com/search?source...P_enUS365US365&q=chords,+Oye+Como+Va,+Santana

For example the fake chord would show a C7 chord, OK I know that is a chord tone of R-3-5-b7 now how much of that I use depends on what it takes to get a groove going. Perhaps only roots will get it done, then perhaps R-R-5-8 would fit this song best. Yep that is going to be left up to you.

Good luck finding bass cleft standard notation on pop, rock, or country on the Internet. Music store will probably have piano sheet music you can buy. Your best chance is going to be able to play from fake chord or lead sheet. Which only list the chord name and leave how you play that chord up to you. Talk to your instructor and your music store owner.

Good luck.

3. FeltFedora

FeltFedora

Sep 10, 2010
    That answers it for me. ..It was not the magic "hey go to this website and print it out for free" I was kinda sorta hoping for but you did give me the straight scoop. :) Thanks so much for the reply. Very much appreciated.

All the best,
    FF

4. ask on the tab forum here........check out your local used book stores for back copies of guitar/bass mags.....in them there are loads of transcriptions to practice on

5. Try musicnotes.com.....it's a paying site but we really should pay artists for copyrighted work....just like MP3's.