Where do I go after the major/minor scales?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 24, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I just finished reading (and actually understanding) the theory link on the homepage. After learning the major and minor scales I have no clue where to go next. Any suggestions?
  2. Hey man. I am taking lessons and right now I am just getting beyond the major and minor scales. I am going into the Lyidan, Maj Pent., Minor Pent., Dorian, etc(I can spell, or remember them all) ... and how to play these scales over chord changes and what scales go with what chord changes. It is still very confusing to me, but I know that there are many books that deal with this, and many resources on the net that you can get this info for free: www.activebass.com for one.

I am 'learning' jazz, so depending on where you are looking to go with it will determine what you should focus on.

Also, pick some favorite tunes(without words), get the chord changes off some piano or guitar site, and practice playing your scales with the music. Just turn the bass down on the recording and make some stuff up. It will sound REAL bad a first, but in no time you will start to see the changes and what notes, in what scales will fit. Its a good exersize.

Later -
  3. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Thanks, what scales should I learn first?
  4. Major
    Pentatonic Major/Minor ...

All of them actually - Go to the 'Bassics' link on activebass.com and go through the list. They all have a distinct finger pattern that works wherever you are on the finger board. You just have to start gong through them all.

Teachers REALLY help! I would be having tuff time with this stuff if I didn't have my teacher. Its do-able on your own, but teachers really help... One's that know theory at least!

Good luck -
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    yep, different modes of major & minor.

..and keith is right, teachers are a good idea.