where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jan 2, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, Ive been playing bass for about 6 years now in school concert bands and jazz bands and this year ive been playing in my own band, and praise and worship band and at my church. and ive come to a point where I do know what to learn next. for playing for 6 years I dont know that much I now some basic theory, I can read music, and I have some decent chops. But I want to get better and I dont know where to start could you guys give me some advice on where to start and if you have some helpful websites that have lessons on what you are talking about could you post them please?
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    There are many ways to go from where you are.

Learn some different styles of music and see what you can do with you bass in those styles.

Best thing to do is try to get with better musicians and keep up with them. The groups you mentioned are probably pretty good.... but there are groups that could be described as praise bands, school groups etc. that aren't very good. Get with musicians who play as well or better...that's when you really start to learn.

If there are any community theater groups in your area check with them. Musicals are a great way to polish reading chops and a very interesting and different playing experience.

Buy a recorder of some kind and play duets with yourself if all else fails.
  3. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    anyone else have some tips?