Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do I look for pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gojirin, Dec 12, 2004.

1. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    Howdy!
    I have upgraded the pups on my 1994 Fender P-plus p/j bass(thanks luknfur!) and now am looking to put in new pots. The existing system has the pots hardwired to the pre-amp, which is what I want to get rid of(the new Basslines p/j's are being over driven and distorting). This bass is a tele-style with over under pots(vol/pan and treble/bass). I have heard them called "cowpoke" pots..
    Where is a good place to look for pots and are any certain types more desirable? I'm not sure I want more treble, so 250ohm pots may be the way to go.
    Any and all advice is welcomed.
    And thanks in advance.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    stewmac.com, guitarelectronics.com, wdmusic.com, warmoth.com
    all good places

3. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    http://www.stewmac.com
    You can get an entire wiring kit: pots, wires, output jack...
    for not much more than ordering the 3 pots that you need :)

4. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I'm seeing a wide range of prices on the pots, though some include some pretty nice knobs.
    All of the recomended sites are fun. I can replace my rosewood neck with a maple one and change my pots and ....
    Great, I've got parts gas....

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You can also go to the major electronics wholesalers like Allied Electonics, Newark, MCM, Radiospares (RS Comonents), Farnell etc as well as a ton of smaller sellers/wholesalers, depending on where you live. Usually better product for less, but you will need to do some research.
    I'm used to the quality of Bourns, Spectrol, Vishay etc which I seldom find in MI gear and have accounts with a lot of suppliers, so...