Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do I post about sansamps?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Sep 13, 2002.

1. I just bought one.

I like it very much.

But do I post about it in amps, since it is clearly a preamp, or in effects, becaue it is equally clearly a stomp box or here in Miscellaneous, as I don't know where else to post it?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    going by past practice, I'd say in effects.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It's also a recording device...

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I moved to Effects, since that is where all of the other Sansamp threads are. I agree, it could fit in at least three Forums, but this is where most of the discussion about it occurs.

5. Thank you, kind sir...

Anyway, I have had the thing for a couple of days, and it is impressive. It does what I bought it for. But what I was interested in is whether anyone has had any problems overloading inputs with it? It does have a powerful output.

How many people use it as a straight pre-amp?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Count me in.

Basses -> Korg AX-1B -> SanSamp BassDriver -> PA.

Along with a few other effects.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, you can overload the input with an active bass. It's happened with my Lakland. The cure is just to turn down the volume knob on your bass. Make sure you don't have the "drive" knob up too high, too.

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Though this is true, and I do the same w/my really hot G&L, his question if I read it correctly asks if he could overdrive/clip an amp w/the SansAmp's output which he says is hot. This can be solved by achieving a balance with gain going into the sansamp and the output knob.

One of us must have answered it.

9. Monty, you are closer, but I was thinking not of clipping or driving, but out and out frying...

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Use the "level" control judiciously to avoid overdriving your amp. That's what it's for.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't use it with my Spector but do use it with my Fender. I like it a lot.

The only time I've used it with my Spector was as a DI in the studio. It did a fantastic job!:D

12. Just to clarify - I was asking about the danger of a sansamp into an amp input actually frying, burning out or otherwise rendering inoperable the input. I had a solid state input in mind.

I mean, let's just assume that I plug the thing in to the passive input on an amp with the level right up. By accident, sort of thing.

Also, I have discovered that the Sadowsky preamp, running into the sansamp, is blissful!

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Instead of connecting the SansAmp to the amp input you could use it in the effects loop if your amp has one. I use it that way with my EBS Drome combo on stage. Effect send to SansAmp, tele output of the SansAmp to the effects return, and the XLR output to the PA. Works quite well, and perhaps safer with regards to overloading anything as the SansAmp basically feeds the power amp that way.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I believe the SansAmp has a true bypass. Therefore, if you set the effected level to be the same as the non-effected level, then you are not using the SABDDI as a preamp at all, so if you fry another device with it, the fault lies with the other device or with your bass, and not with the SansAmp!

15. Yup

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I don't think it has true bypass. At least the switch doesn't feel like it is. And the output of the sansamp is not line level, but instrument level so I wouldn't worry too much about frying things. If you're still worried just don't crank the level knob.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Don't worry. You're not going to damage the input stage of an amp with any preamp's outputs. A power amp's, maybe.

18. Thank you :)