Where do I put my extra cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave44, May 8, 2003.

1. I bought a new 2x10 cab for my rig, an Eden CXC Combo Series with 1x10 and 1x15. I was wondering is there a proper way of placing my cab in order to get the optimum use of it's design. Do I place it on top of my amp? beside her? where? Should the port be on the bottom or can I turn it on it's side? I know these seem like dumb questions but I'm no tech. and I'd like to achieve the best sound I can. Before I even plug in.
  2. Experiment with different positions. Use the one that sounds best to YOU.:bassist:
  3. After experimenting with speaker placement over the years, I have found a few pieces of info that might help you in your quest. Trying out a some different options with your ear as a guide should get you your favorite configuration. As a general rule it sounds better to get your stack taller. I used to stack a pair of 2x10 cabs on end. They were rear ported, so I would put the top one a bit off-axis if the bass was booming off the back wall. With front-ported cabinets, try stacking the ports together or apart. (Usually flipping either the top or bottom cabinet upside down does this.) I am not sure why, but these two configurations sound quite different if you are stacking like cabinets. Another thing I used to do was to put my rack in between the two cabinets to get a 2x10 up at head level with an 18 or 8x8 on the bottom. Try some different configurations in a band setting and you'll find which one you like best! -Wes
  4. Thanx wheilman I'll give it a go, and post you a reply as to what I eventually stand with.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If the combo has a 15" speaker, I'd be putting it on the floor. Low frequencies like to run along walls and floors so you'll get more volume out of it than if it's up in free air.

The porting position isn't so important with Eden's bacause they're front ported. But turning it on it's side or up-side down will put the horn in a different position and may affect the sound of the high frequencies.

Greybeard's right - experiment.