Where do I send my tuner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 27, 2005.

1. My friend just gave me his Korg DTR-2 Rackmount to borrow, and I am having trouble figuring out where to send it. I currently have it set up like this. (Well, this is all that you need to know)

Bass --> Tuner --> Head --> Cab
    Tuner --> Power Strip

I just dont know where to plug it in on my head. I have an Ampeg B2R. The back panel has the following input/outputs:

1.) "Speakers" I send a cord to my cab through this
    2.) "Preamp out"
    3.) "Power amp in"
    4, 5.) Effects loop send and return

There are also buttons that say Post/Pre and 0 dB/-20 dB

I tried putting it in the "preamp in" and "Power amp out" inputs, but for 1 (I can't remember) The tone went all weird and I couldn't change the volume, and for the other it made the signal much louder and hummed.

What's the deal? Where do I plug it in?

2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I would tell you, except you're a Bears fan. So I can't. :D
  3. Alex,
    Most of these are usually run in the effects send/return chain.
    Go out of your effects send into the tuner, out from the tuner into the effects return, OR into other effects you might have in that chain. I'd run it first in the chain.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Putting a DTR-2 inline like you have it can add some noise.

Try just running your preamp out or effects send into the DTR-2 with nothing coming back to the head.

Ah, I love the dedicated tuner out on my Trace! :cool:
  5. Send it to me ;)

Put it in the effects loop or preamp out like the others have said :)
  6. Running it through preamp out made it so that I couldn't adjust the volume. Running it through the effects loop (and also send/return by themselves) cut the volume A LOT. I played through the tuner, and then plugged direct into the head, and the volume difference was ridiculously. Plugged into the tuner with the volume and gain on full, it wasn't anywhere near the volume that it should've been.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I could just run directly into my head unless I'm tuning......but then I wouldn't get a bunch of blinking lights when I play (especially in the dark) :D
  7. anyone know? Could it be that it is just broken?

8. I was doing a quick google search on the tuner, and ran across several reviews that mentioned serious noise problems. You might want to read through these.

That rackmount tuner isn't designed to have you run your instrument through it like a stompbox. It really needs to either be in the effects send/return loop, or connected to some sort of lineout or your preamp output.
    When you said you couldn't adjust the volume connected preamp out, did you mean that you could no longer adjust your amp's volume? Or does the tuner have a gain control?

This type of tuner should run good in the effects send/return. If it is noisy, cuts your volume, etc.. , you should seriously consider something else. For the price of those, they should work perfectly. Have you checked into the Petersen Strobostomps? If I spend good money on a tuner, that or the non-stomp model would be my first choice..

9. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    If you're not using the XLR balanced output to go to the pa. you could send that signal to the tuner ( with an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable).
  10. Ha! I just went and tried it one last time, and it worked! I think that I was plugging directly into the tuner, when I should have been plugging into the head, while the tuner was just in the effects loop!

TB saves the day again!

Thanks guyz