1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do I stand and where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Oryx, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Oryx

Oryx

Dec 26, 2011
    Alright hello guys, I was researching some bass related items on the we and stumbled upon this site. Anyhow, I have a few questions. About 3 weeks ago I went out and bought my self a bass from guitar center because I finally had the money to do so. I picked up a used Ibanez SR650PB and an Ampeg amp, nothing to fancy. Anyway I've been working on a few songs from tab and as far as my scales I know the pattern to play and the arpeggios, I also recently bought a method book but haven't really looked at it as I already know quite a bit about music theory and the notes on the cleff. In order to learn the specific notes I set up my tuner and went down fret by fret on the strings learning what notes are where, currently still in process of learning where note placement is.Now currently for my routine I'll start with my scales going from 5/7 on the E string up to 5/7 and beyond on the A string. Usually these are played in the typical scale fashion( Quarter note into eight notes with the arpeggio). If I mess up then I play the scale twice over and slow down until I get it down. I've been working with my fingers and a pick( I have nylon and standard picks ranging from .88 to 2.0mm) and can't really seem what to play with. I can play much faster with a pick but it doesn't feel right, nor sound to good, and with my fingers I can play alright but no where near fast. My question is what should I be practicing, as I said before I'm not to keen on the book as it's a lot I already know,not trying to sound pretentious. As an added not I've also looked at 12 bar blues tab. Thanks for taking the time to read and any help given.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Get a good teacher.... that's the get one that knows voice leading, modes, plays jazz, and preferably can double tap (it means he knows his chords). You'll get a better education.

3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Get a metronome if you don't have one or a (my preference) drum machine. practice playing patterns against different beats if you can.

If you can't afford a drum machine just yet, learn some basslines to songs and play along to the recording.

Just keep playing.

4. Oryx

Oryx

Dec 26, 2011
    I've got a pedal now with a drum machine on it. So far for learning songs I'll run through a couple times and play along with the music.

5. This. This. This. A thousand times this. No matter how much you teach yourself you will never know what technique you will be doing bad and can potentially dig yourself in a hole of that will be hard to get out of. Untraining bad technique is one of the most difficult things to do. Just go online and check for a solid teacher. You'll even make a great friend. I still call my old instructor and we jam out or just shoot the breeze talking bass.

6. Yes, take one youtube video a day you like and *practice.*

7. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    learning notes with a tuner?????? that is solid ambition!!! good for you....you wanna get learning some of your favorite tunes/ bass lines ....stuff that is not too hard ...keep going with your fingers on the right hand it'll get easier. Alot of the method books assume the student knows nothing about music or the instrument so they move very slow as many are based around std notation as well ....and that is alot for an absolute beginner but for someone with knowledge of music and just wants to get at it they may be slow and boring.

you should dig into some 12 bar walking patterns as well.

Some good early basslines are

Stand By Me - Ben E King
    Come Together - Beatles
    The Wall - Pink Floyd the "we don't need no Education part"
    Money - PF getting tougher - teaches a right hand "rake"
    Crossfire - SRV Eb tuning
    Following guitar line riffs like Iron Man etc ...

all the other advice given was great too ...teacher, drum machine etc