Where do I start recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 87octane_, Sep 30, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Ok. If I give you guys the specs of my computer and details of my band, can you tell me where to get started recording?

First of all, neither I nor anyone else in my band has ever recorded any multi-track stuff. We have a singer and 2 backups, a guitar, two basses (think rhythm and lead), and the drums are done on the computer using various programs.

The computer will soon be upgraded to an Intel Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz processor with 256mb of pc133 ram. I have about the ****tiest, oldest, most worthless soundcard money can buy. It has one mic input, RCA, I believe.

We also have an 8 input p.a. head, if that helps anything whatsoever
  2. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    First program the drums and after that record one instrument at a time. Perhaps in the order: rhythm bass, guitar, lead bass, vocals, backing vocals. It doesn't matter what your computer is, a SB live soundcard should be fine for your purposes.

You can record bass directly into soundcard. Guitar would benefit from some amp modeling or cab mic'ing. For quality vocals you'll need a 'real' mic and preamp. If the quality does not matter, use whatever you get your hands on (I've done demo recordings using the built-in mic of my laptop).

Get some multitrack recording program and learn how to use it. ;)
  3. JeffBarnett

Sep 26, 2002
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    My advice is to lose the lame sound card and replace it with a higher quality one. That's the weakest link in your chain right now. Multiple ins/outs would be best, but a stereo-only card could save you $. Some cards come with multi-track software (Cakewalk, Cubase, or others). I'd look for one of those.

Also, hook up with somebody who knows the ropes. Find somebody who can help you configure this kind of system. If you don't already have somebody like this, feel free to call me.

Jeff Barnett

5335 Bass Road
    Fort Wayne, IN 46808
    800 222 4700 ext. 1283

No payments, No interest for 90 days
    Apply now at www.Sweetwater.com/allAccess

I am usually available 9am-6pm, M-F.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    How much money do you have to play with?
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    what jeff said. plus, get more ram, esp. when using XP.

512+ is recommended for audio, maybe more if you use large samples with sample players that don't do disk streaming.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    at least 384 to avoid problems.
  7. JeffBarnett

Sep 26, 2002
    Ft. Wayne, IN
  8. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    get a better sound card.... www.zzounds.com is selling the Audiophile 24/96 for $150, I picked one up today to replace my crapigy (Audigy).