Where do I start

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by energydude, Jul 8, 2004.

1. energydude

Jun 9, 2004
    I'm a new (as in wannabe) bass guitar player. I'd really appreciate some input from experienced folks about a good instrument to start with. Oh yeah, I'm left handed, if that makes a difference in the best makes.

2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    If you've never learned to play either bass or guitar... I'd suggest that you try both right-handed basses and left-handed basses, and see which way feels more comfortable for you.

I'm left-handed, but I play bass/guitar right-handed... And I guess I'm glad I learned this way, since the selection of left-handed basses available (especially locally) seems much more limited.
  3. Hey man, welcome to TB. There are many smart people here, and some who can BS even better ;) Here's a few good places to start when it comes to brands.

Essex: I've never played one, but the folks here love 'em. They are fender copies, but they can compare to even Fender's most affordable.

Squier: Fender's sister company, if you will. Fender copies, but they play good and cost little, great starting instruments.

Brice: I haven;t played one of these, but I hear good things, someone else can elaborate.

Fender: Fender makes affordable Mexican versions of the Precision bass, and the Jazz bass. They run about $350-$420. I have a MIM (made in mexico) P-bass, and I love it.

But, don't just take our advice. Go to a local music store, explain that you're new, and they should get you on the right track. Hope this helps. Almost forgot: If you have never played, try right handed first. In the long run, it will save you money, time, and energy, dude.
  4. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Most people suggest the Ibanez starter kit over the fender one. I personally haven't tried the Ibanez starter kit.
  5. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I also recommend learning to play right-handed.