Where do I start

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I am just getting into the bass world. What kind of bass amp should I look at(model name etc) I have a 5 string bass and I want something that can handle low b with ease and also sound clean and clear.

Where do I start? My budget right now is $500 but I can probably save a couple 100 or so if needed.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its a bit over your budget, but Avatar 212 with the Ashdown they have in their special deal. It will be about $600 though... Looking used is a good option too.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I suggest Hartke amps and cabs. They're rather vanilla, but they're clear, can handle a low B, and are very moderately priced.

Of couse, you can do really well for yourself perusing the Talkbass and Dudepit classifieds.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

If a 2x12 with 300W is too much for you, maybe some kind of combo amp with 100W or so and a 12" or 15" speaker.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Nothing is TOO much :smug: . But seriously, we kinda need to know if you are gigging or if you just need something for practice.
  6. I will be in a church setting but they use a p.a. so i would need something for a monitor
  7. KrnMackMattsta

Apr 14, 2005
    well i can tell you 1X12 combo wont work lol. I also play in the church and my 120watt amp does NOT suffice at all.
  8. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    You could try and look into a hefty combo. The ampeg BA115HP is pretty good, i think that should be in your price range. 220 watts and the 15'' speaker will handle the low B.
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Keep in mind, churches are very different as far as size and volume levels. my upright is loud enough to keep up in my church, as is my 35 watt combo amp- it is smalla nd has good acoustics. I think the 2x12 setup would be plenty for anythign under 500 people unless oyu have some kind of mega hardcore worship service or something. ;)
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could try an SWR Workingman's 12. Get a SansAmp Bass Driver DI (or better yet, the SansAmp ParaDriver DI) to put in front of it, and take the built-in XLR on the amp out to the PA. You should be able to pull that off for about $500.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Used is good. I got a lot of milage from my Peavy TNT115 combo, I think the new ones are around $400. It would work well for practicing and very small gigs, though I've played pretty big shows micing and going preamp to board with mine.
  12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd like to comment on the subject of "handling low-B" (with ease, even!): Remember that a rig doesn't have to reproduce flat down to Low-B's 31Hz fundamental in order to have a great-sounding B. My 2X15 bass cab (actually a JBL JRX125 PA cab) is rated -3dB@45Hz; -10dB@36Hz. Well when you see the response droppin' like a rock like that - 7dB-down in only 9Hz - we can pretty-much know that this thing isn't producing ANY low-B fundamental to speak of! Still - even with EQ run flat, she burps-out a nice, growl-y Beee.

I plan on getting a subwoofer, and maybe even biamping in the future for some real earth-moving low-lows, but I'm not lacking much as-is, I'll tell ya! My low-B is being 'handled' in a very, pleasing and authoritive way nonetheless.

13. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'd look at Yorkville combos. Good price, great tone. I use one of their older ones (BM50) in my jazz combo at school, that thing has a lot of muscle for being so small, and very nice tone.
  14. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    You could try and look into a hefty combo. The ampeg BA115HP is pretty good, i think that should be in your price range. 220 watts and the 15'' speaker will handle the low B.

Concur! Even an Ampeg B100R (with a good DI box, like a SansAmp) could make that gig