1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where do millions of new guitars go to die?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    never before has there been more guitar builders / manufactures in our global history, with the larger half pumping out shiploads monthly all well beyond consumption levels even if everybody on Earth played pro and had incurable GAS. yet, we don't see mountains of rejects waiting to be disposed of even tho we could pave all our roads with the endless debris, nor does anyone have a closet so big as to hide all those others being ignored in favor of the new flavor of the month. where is the black hole that sucks up kazillions of unappreciated guitars? ...and when is the final mother of all blowout sales?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    More brands does not mean more sales, just more variety. Also, a lot is cr@p. I would bet more end up in landfills sooner.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    we don't have land for the mountains of guitars, then add basses, and mandomalins!

4. Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    hillerup, Hahaha, TolerancEJ and 12 others like this.
  5. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Pawn shops are popping up like mushrooms. They all need some inventory to hang on the walls.

BlueAliceOasis, Ellery and Aqualung60 like this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Closets.

BlueAliceOasis, dxb, FenderB and 4 others like this.
  7. I put them ALL under your bed.

8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    aa046e39-d913-4495-82d4-b15b22b35ab3.jpg

9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    So, what part of this is fact and what part is just your conjecture????

packhowitzer, Ellery, BrBss and 3 others like this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I can tell you in all my years of casual dump picking, I've never seen a guitar of any kind except a plastic toy, so they aren't ending up in a landfill. Every so often you see some dumpster dive gem pop up on TB, but it's pretty rare. Even then they are usually damaged or stripped of hardware. I think there are just millions of dusty guitars under beds and in closets. I've read that guitar sales are way down in the age of internet gaming, which I believe. I left several guitars prominently laying about for my 4 sons to see and fiddle with, only one took up bass. 25% success rate ain't bad, but I bet it's far lower in most families.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Warehouses.

12. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    mpdd and Gilmourisgod like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Well…a fair number of them get played by me in any event. ;)

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ten or so years ago I went to the old Musicians Friend warehouse outlet in KC. Mountains and mountains of broken instruments being sold for pennies! I have no idea what they do with it all now, they closed the outlet store down shortly after my visit.

15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This proves that the ex had a soft spot in her heart...

images(6).jpeg

... before she took everything else.

Nightman, dannylectro, rtav and 18 others like this.
  16. Interesting. I figured this day in age they make just about a instrument for everyone in numerous different price ranges to cater to as well.

Bass V likes this.
  17. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    That's at MoPOP (Museum of Pop Culture) in Seattle. I saw it earlier this year in person. Pretty cool.

Spidey2112, Gaolee and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The big global manufacturers are selling globally. The Asian market is huge, then throw in sales in South America and Africa. That mountain of guitars doesn't look so high any more.

19. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd say "my house", but I don't think my count is in the millions... ...yet. ;) (bwu-hahahahahahaaaaaaaa)

Spidey2112, Bass V and mikewalker like this.