where do the watts go

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pierce, Sep 20, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i have done a search but i am having trouble finding an exact answer:

here are the amp specs.
    200w @ 8 ohms
    350w @ 4 ohms

now, i know how this works with a single 4 or 8 ohm cab, but...what i dont know is the wattage distro between 2 8ohm cabs. i am assuming that each cab would get 175watts? if this is true, wouldnt it be more logical to assume that you would only get 175 watts total @ 8 ohms?

if there is a thread that has this answer, just let me know.
  2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Hooking up two 8 Ohm cabs will give you a total load of 4 Ohms, thereby your rig can then put out a max of 350 watts, so each cab will be getting 175 watts...however you are pushing more air by using two cabs...it will sound much fuller.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here it is

ohms faq

just to be fair, it's like this
    ohms are a measure of resisitance to an electrical signal, (in this case, the power coming from your amp)
    when hooking up a 4 ohm load to your amp, the amp can put out more power than when hooking up an 8 ohm load.
    think of your amp as a water main, and each 8 ohm speaker as a garden hose connected to it. Whith both hoses hooked up 350 gallons of water will come out a minute, 175 gallons thru each hose.

to answer your second question, in a perfect world the 4 ohm rating of an amp would be twice the wattage of the 8 ohm rating. For your amp the specs would be 200 watts @ 8 ohms, 400 watts @ 4 ohms. However, in the real world other limitations (such as thermal ones) come into play that prevent amplifiers from reaching their maximum potential when the ohms are halved.
  4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

cool, thanks