1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do U-Bass fit in this forum, are we Bass Guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DouglasT, Jun 2, 2014.

1. DouglasT

DouglasT

May 1, 2014
    The U-Bass group are growing all the time and we don't seem to ahve a home. We have a slightly different area than bass guitar and are not upright either. Do we need to have a new section?

2. [*klink-rattle* 2¢]
    U-Basses are a form of bass guitar, no need for a new section, there is the megathread.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    +1, they have an upright sound but the form factor is unmistakably bass guitar - albeit in a smaller package.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Kala should start a forum if they don't have one already. I'm pretty sure there aren't any more ubass users here than there are Stingray, P bass, Jazz bass, or Rick users. Point being that if ubass should have their own forum, why not all the others?

As for megathreads, I'm not a fan of them at all as it's next to impossible to find specific information you're looking for. IMO people should start posting separate threads. Megathreads don't seem to serve much of a purpose, except for the very few who post in them every day.

Orangeclawhammr likes this.
  5. Good point. I was trying to remember some specifics on restringing the U-Bass, as the one I borrowed had wayyyy too many wraps around each post, the A in particular – 7 megathreads to sift through trying to find the info I wanted... ugh!

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've owned at least 6 ubasses and restrung them more times than I can remember. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

7. Thanks Gorn Captain. I was searching for info/experience on broken tuning gears and tuning posts – it was actually on behalf of the local Ukelele shop, which had the strings wound up so much that I dared not to tune it in the shop for fear of snapping off a post or stripping some gears they were binding up so very badly. I reviewed a few restringing vids online and then felt I could restring my friend's U-Bass without breaking it. Success!

Haven't been back to the Uke shop yet to see if they heeded my warnings/emails...