Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where do u get the money

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lewibassist, May 6, 2003.

1. i know this is a stupid question but where do u lot the money for all these amzing bassis my dream is to own a fodera but most of you have got them do u get ure money in bass related ways or are u just rich

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I don't own a fodera, but all the money for my equipment comes from working, giging, selling or trading equipment to ultimatly upgrade.
    peace
    -Ben

3. I didn't even pay money for my Fodera.

4. ...but I did pay for the three basses I traded for it.

5. your profile says you were born in 1988.. if i were you, i'd finish school, go to college, get a job, and then start buying basses. :) you're going to have to get the spelling and grammar thing happening first though.

6. yo funky ive seen ure fodera and it looks amazing u must be proud id b very proud if owned somethin as beutifull as that :p

7. Saving money by,eating ramen cup o'noodles. And drinking cheap beer.;)

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like to steal things.

:D

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say - go for a Fedora instead, or win the Lottery!! ;)

Or you could go the route of most of us, I expect - work for 10 -15 years at a pretty dull job which brings in reasonable money!

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    It's easy:

#1. School-->Work-->More School-->Less Work-->Mo Money!

or/and

#2. Inform your {working} wife that you want only one gift every 2-3 years ;)

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    My bet is that, if it wasn't for Ramen, most of us would have half as much gear as we do.

12. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
  13. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I do computer games:)

And live in a 4x3 m room. And I don`t have a table. But hey, I`ve just bought a new bass :)

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd tell you.... but then I'd have to kill you..

15. Ya need the Moola to get the good gear. I figure most people here have steady jobs and earn good money from gigging. I unfortunately dont have a job so I have no money, therefor I have crappy gear (my amp atleast).

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've spent a bit more than half my life doing a series of mind numbing but fairly well paid jobs.

I pulled 60 hours of overtime in one month to buy my Musicman. I felt guilty and did another 60 the following month and banked it.

17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm 45 and can't afford those high class basses either. However, I have four kids taking karate, dance class, etc. and going to private school. And a house payment in San Diego. Otherwise, I might have those basses you're talking about. You make your choices and deal with them. My current "main" bass, a Peavey Axcelerator 6, cost me $300 plus shipping and still amazes me with its sound and quality. Bought it right here on talkbass, incidentally.

These guys are right. Go to school, play a cheap bass for a while, drink cheap beer (or no beer, like me), then make money and decide how to spend (or save) it.

I'd like a nice Jerzy Drozd or Fodera 6 (or Hanewinkel, or...), but I don't need it. What I really need is to practice and gig more.

18. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man I do all that anyway :D

19. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from bruce:Or you could go the route of most of us, I expect - work for 10 -15 years at a pretty dull job which brings in reasonable money!

This is so true. So i took a part time job, sat/sun
    at the local music store. This helped pay for gear
    and you can get stuff at employee cost. And get
    first crack at good trade in's. And meeting all
    the other musicians that shop there. If that does not work for you, get girls to buy them for you.:)

20. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I worked for mine.
    I've got to say that I would have loved to have a Warwick Streamer Stage I and a few others, as indicated on your profile, when I was your age.