Where do we bassists work?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JoePlaysDaBass, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Exhibit builder at the South Carolina State Museum since 1985. That's what majoring in music theory got me, LOL. But, I played guitar full-time from 1970-73, and again from '75-76, plus played in the Columbia Philharmonic '76-82 on string bass. My present job came on the heels of supervising theater set construction for a few years. (Heh, heh, the qualifications for the theater job were listed as, "...a Bachelor's degree and a knowledge of power tools." So, there was my opportunity to use my music degree since they didn't care what your degree was in, but they later changed it to a B. A. specifically in technical theater. Therefore I was not qualified anymore, even though I was doing the job grandly).

I was formerly a commercial art major when I started college, and already had a job offer for when I graduated, but NO...I had to go with music (without the courses needed for public school teaching). But, I learned a lot, and it has helped me with my music career. Turned down some offers to play more professionally, including one mainliner, just to have a different, normal kind of life instead. No regrets.

2. gnjpowell

gnjpowell Inactive

Nov 12, 2010
    Concord, NH
    Bass & guitar tech, FOH sound, backline rentals
    IT support at a ski resort by winter, Race Control at a NASCAR track by summer, sound guy on the side...

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I work here
    [​IMG]

f-art-west-wing-on-the-national-mall-washington-dc-national-gallery-of-art-washington-h322213928.jpg

National_Gallery_of_Art.jpg

4. After 12 years of staying at home w/the kids I rejoined the workforce(part-time)at a small cabinet shop. Mostly finishing but a little bit of everything- there's a CNC and a lot of other cool stuff. I'll try to upload a pic or two.

5. centralbeatbass

centralbeatbass

Nov 18, 2008
    New York
    Psychologist

6. CoolBassDaddy

CoolBassDaddy

Dec 31, 2009
    I am a designer at an electric sign company. Prior to that I was a sign painter for forty years. It always amazed me how many sign painters were also musicians.

7. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I graduated in '88 with an Electrical Engineering degree, but I have been a computer/web programmer ever since graduating.

8. TheFunkKnuckle

TheFunkKnuckle

Jun 22, 2011
    Engineer/Roadway Designer...

9. Hospice Home Care

10. stevemac

stevemac

Feb 24, 2011
    Electrical designer for an engineering consulting company. If its electrical I'll design it... for a price. :)

11. I work as an Investment Banker and make over 300,000k per year.

12. I do Asset Protection for a major retailer. :ninja:

13. Huey(not him)

Huey(not him)

Jan 8, 2010
    knifemaker and retail store owner

14. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    Web content manager and web developer for a medical publisher. Which I became after moving to NYC. Which I did after being a "music professional" for 10 years. Which meant teaching music, mostly. At least all I care about now is music I WANT to make, which I appreciate as a great luxury.

15. johny martin

johny martin

May 6, 2011
    Montana
    Was a carpenter in southwest florida for years, then moved up here to Montana, Been working in bars every since, But most recently I just stopt working at the Indiana University Geologic feild station .

Right now im kinda a stay at home dad (full time job)

16. butisitart

butisitart

Apr 29, 2011
    Coquitlam, BC
    University professor - (in Computer Science)

17. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Portrait photographer

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Environmental engineering, which can be exciting and rewarding (i.e. designing salmon habitats, saving old-growth trees on construction projects, etc.) or of the less than glamorous variety (i.e. oil from a car wreck getting into a storm drain, removing sediment from a pipe culvert under a roadway, etc.).

19. JeffLieby

JeffLieby

Dec 25, 2007
    Orange, TX
    I run overnight Master Control for a local news station....

I get to do some serious woodsheddin' while I'm at work, so that's cool

20. champlainbass

champlainbass

Feb 15, 2010
    Peru, NY
    Respiratory Therapist at the major regional hospital.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.