Where do y'all learn about weird/indie music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Until recently, the answer for has been Alternative Press magazine. I started reading in the early 90's: it's been an excellent source of info on new bands and new recordings. In the late 90's AP began to feature cover stories on pop tarts such as Fiona Apple and Sugar Ray, but the reviews section still rocked: typically, over 100 reviews of albums in all kinds of genres ranging from alt-country to progressive to punk to electronica to metal to avant jazz. Little or no major label recordings... usually, big-label albums were trashed.

But AP went downhill for me last year when they started classifying reviews by genre: Punk, metal/hardcore, indie, rock, electronica/hip-hop. This seems lame because much of the music I enjoy can't be pigeonholed. For instance, would Naked City go into punk or jazz or metal/hardcore?

So, I'm wondering what you hipsters read to keep up. I've glanced at other zines such as CMJ... maybe I'm wrong but they mostly seem to stick to indie rock.... not much in the way of experimental versions of techno, jazz, hardcore, etc. I'm thinking I should get The Wire... being an overseas publication it's very pricey (and probably recommends a bunch of overseas recordings which are likewise pricey), but if it covers a wide enough range of genres I'm willing.

Again, I'm looking for a zine where I can learn about avant jazz artists such as Roy Anderson and William Parker, avant techno such as Aphex Twin and Kid 606, prog rock such as Volapuk and Thinking Plague, post punk such as Arab on Radar and Birthday Party, alt dub such as Scorn and Bill Laswell and the Wordsound posse, math metal such as Botch and Dillinger Escape Plan, trance weirdness from Pelt and Vibracathedral Orchestra, "non-New Agey" World Beat... I think you get the idea. :)
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm fortunate enough to have a capable network of friends that are heavily into the indie scene. Additionally, I know some people at calarts, who are heavily into the weird scene.

So, many things brush past my ears.

I also browse the iTunes Music store new releases every tuesday. Now that most of the major stuff is on there, and they have confirmed 400 indie labels for distribution, every week there is a wealth of new stuff added. Also I often Type in random letters and words into the search pane to see what it suggests :)

I don't read many periodicals, zines or otherwise.
  3. well, i am (un)fortunate enough to live near UW-Steven's Point, and they have their own radio station which i listen to a lot of. They have more than just indie stuff, they are the only ones to have a regular blues show, jazz show, heavy metal show and just about any other program you'd like to listen to. I have heard just about every kind of music out there on the college station, and i really like it. Also, the college station introduced me to primus, tool, T.M. Stevens and ray brown, so they always seem to play some really great bass players as well.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you want to get into indie rock, be ready to dive headlong into a boiling cauldron of pretentiousness.

That being said, www.pitchforkmedia.com would be a good place to start (once again! pretentiousness abounding...and they're pretty biased and uneven reviews). From there, check out "20 years of Dischord" the box set, if you haven't already.
  5. well for me it was in 1978 I read a review for Devo's first album in Skateboarder mag. wow I was stoked. and went out and bought all the punkest music I could find.. at that time there wasn't any radio stations playing anything remotely new..except for KROQ in LA. I could barely tune it in here in San Diego..I used to get most of the info about new bands by reading NME, Maximum Rock N Roll and Trouser Press. I guess those are still around today? now that I am older I seem to be kind of jaded to what's "new" .
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well I get this zine out of Mumbai...oh wait...I thought you said weird Indian music. *rimshot*

brad cook
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Go to your local Pretentious Independant Record Store. Everyone has one. They'll tell you all you want to know.
  9. Fuzzbass

Heh. Yeah, I'm aware of indie snobbery and it's obnoxious. For the record, I still enjoy listening to AC/DC and The Hives and other bands that snobs would turn up their noses at, so I hope I didn't come across as one myself.

The AP reviews were mostly lacking that sort of thing though. For years there was a core group of reviewers @AP whom I could always trust, but many are gone now.

I agree, college radio is the best. The University of Maryland has an excellent radio station which I loved when I was going there, but their signal travels only a few miles. When I was a teen, Georgetown U had the best radio I've ever heard and a very strong signal besides, but that is no more (sad story there).

I know there's great stuff on internet radio, but unfortunately that's not convenient enough for me... can't listen at work, and at home I rarely have the opportunity.

Anyway, thanks much for the references... I'll check 'em out.

P.S. DigMe, I enjoy weird Indian music too so go ahead and pass that 'zine along... ;) :D
  10. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I am by no means a hipster (though hipsters all deny that they are indeed hipsters) but I am a bit of a sound engineer and TapeOp is a great magazine and there is always a lot of bands mentioned/reviewed in that mag. Check out website toTapeOp.com.

UBL has a pretty broad list of bands. Guess it depends on how Indy of music you are looking for. I am usually too picky for most Indy cuz the recordings suck ass.
  11. www.fakejazz.com This one has tinges of indie snobbery, but can be helpful at times.

www.epitonic.com This one has tons of mp3 clips which you can sample to see if the artist you are reading about is "up your alley".

Hope it works out for you.
  12. Fuzzbass

Thanks very much, guys, I appreciate it!
  13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    go to your local boarders books or barnes and nobel and have them order you a village voice. NYC zine has all you need re new tunes. or look em up on line....

nycnycnycnycnycnycnycnycnycnycnycnycnyucnycnycnycyncyncyncyncyncncyncnycyncyncync :bassist:
  14. chascarrillo

Jun 11, 2003
    I can definitely second the recommendation of Signal to Noise, and I'll throw in the UK's Wire which has more than enough U.S. distribution to be able to be found easily. Both magazines seem to be exactly what you're looking for.

I'd throw in the excellent webzine Blastitude for even "fringier" music, and the similarly themed paper zine Bananafish, the latter of which does a better job of covering jazz.

Blastitude: http://www.blastitude.com/
  15. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    throw out all your records and buy as much zappa as possible. new indie music - well no, but still :bassist:
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That Epitonic website is pretty snazzy.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use my bandmates.
  18. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Epitonic is great to download stuff... But if you want info...

ps. or you could just ask me... :smug: