Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you buy online strings for your 7-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mr M, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Where do you buy online strings for your 7-string? In fact I'd like to learn where can I order them as it is impossible for me to find a set for 7 string here in Istanbul..

Is there any manufacturer who offers standard 7 strings or it should always be a special order?

And how much does one set cost?

BTW the tuning for 7-str will be B-E-A-D-G-b-e

Thanks a lot!!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have no idea have a bump

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    this is a question for JT, is it not? :D

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Musician's Friend has the seven-string Conklin Snakeskins on their site, but you might want to call first to make sure they're really in stock. I tried ordering a set a few months back when they said they had them in stock, and after two months of not getting them, I called and cancelled my order. And I believe Just Strings sells seven-string Ken Smith sets (haven't ordered from there yet). Anyone who knows some other sites, please post them; I'd like to know some more myself.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    diff's right - Just Strings has a couple of Ken Smith 7-string sets.
    They also list a couple of Dean Markley sets.

I think Conklin's Sidewinders are actually made by Dean Markley.

Just Strings should have `em in stock but their overseas
    shipping rates are kinda' steep :(.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I agree that www.juststrings.com is the best place to buy strings. Great service, fast shipment, and low prices. BTW, their house brand is fantastic!

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    No comment on the house brand (haven't tried 'em) but I emphatically agree with everyhing else.

My current trick is to buy 6-string sets (Elixirs) and then buy a plain D'Addario XL .020 for the high F (or E as you plan to tune). This gives you a lot more options on string choices. That's the cool thing about juststrings.com -- they have sets plus single strings of almost every set they sell.

BTW, Mr M -- your profile lists a couple of 4's. Whatcha gonna put these strings ON, anyway?

8. Hi Eli

Is 6+1 string thing working for you? I mean I'm afraid of getting very individual tones from different brand and gauges, do they work well? Maybe I can get 6 string sets here in Istanbul (Thanks God, they do exist here ;) ) and add the high E from juststring.com. But in this case their fixed shipping rate of $35.00 seems to be a huge problem for me.. Anyway, if you're happy with 6+1 thing I may try it.

I'm not sure if I get your question right but yes switching from 4 string to seven string is a challenge for me. But we know JT who did it. I believe I can do it as well. Me likes carrots too :p (I don't know if it's counted :D ) So I believe I've got the most essential skill to succeed this challenge ;) . But it will take at least 3-4 months to have the bass built for me...

See you

And thanks for your helps, especially JAUQUO III-X and JT who have sent PM.

To sum all: Jaco needed only four :D

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yes, it's working, but I had to go through a couple of high E strings to find the right one. It all depends what set of 6 you use. If you get single high strings, be sure to get a lot of them -- I seem to wear out mine every three gigs.

No, I wasn't wondering IF you could do it -- I'm sure you can! I was just wondering what brand of bass it was. And your answer is, it doesn't exist yet!

And yes, I know Jaco did it all with four, but I'm not as good as he was, so I need a few more...

10. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I got the Ken Smith's from JS last time and it was a good 'quick fix' They have 100 hrs on 'em and still got tone. I do clean 'em after every use.:)