1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where do you buy online strings for your 7-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mr M, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Where do you buy online strings for your 7-string? In fact I'd like to learn where can I order them as it is impossible for me to find a set for 7 string here in Istanbul..

Is there any manufacturer who offers standard 7 strings or it should always be a special order?

And how much does one set cost?

BTW the tuning for 7-str will be B-E-A-D-G-b-e

Thanks a lot!!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have no idea have a bump

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    this is a question for JT, is it not? :D

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Musician's Friend has the seven-string Conklin Snakeskins on their site, but you might want to call first to make sure they're really in stock. I tried ordering a set a few months back when they said they had them in stock, and after two months of not getting them, I called and cancelled my order. And I believe Just Strings sells seven-string Ken Smith sets (haven't ordered from there yet). Anyone who knows some other sites, please post them; I'd like to know some more myself.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    diff's right - Just Strings has a couple of Ken Smith 7-string sets.
    They also list a couple of Dean Markley sets.

I think Conklin's Sidewinders are actually made by Dean Markley.

Just Strings should have `em in stock but their overseas
    shipping rates are kinda' steep :(.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I agree that www.juststrings.com is the best place to buy strings. Great service, fast shipment, and low prices. BTW, their house brand is fantastic!

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    No comment on the house brand (haven't tried 'em) but I emphatically agree with everyhing else.

My current trick is to buy 6-string sets (Elixirs) and then buy a plain D'Addario XL .020 for the high F (or E as you plan to tune). This gives you a lot more options on string choices. That's the cool thing about juststrings.com -- they have sets plus single strings of almost every set they sell.

BTW, Mr M -- your profile lists a couple of 4's. Whatcha gonna put these strings ON, anyway?

8. Hi Eli

Is 6+1 string thing working for you? I mean I'm afraid of getting very individual tones from different brand and gauges, do they work well? Maybe I can get 6 string sets here in Istanbul (Thanks God, they do exist here ;) ) and add the high E from juststring.com. But in this case their fixed shipping rate of $35.00 seems to be a huge problem for me.. Anyway, if you're happy with 6+1 thing I may try it.

I'm not sure if I get your question right but yes switching from 4 string to seven string is a challenge for me. But we know JT who did it. I believe I can do it as well. Me likes carrots too :p (I don't know if it's counted :D ) So I believe I've got the most essential skill to succeed this challenge ;) . But it will take at least 3-4 months to have the bass built for me...

See you

And thanks for your helps, especially JAUQUO III-X and JT who have sent PM.

To sum all: Jaco needed only four :D

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yes, it's working, but I had to go through a couple of high E strings to find the right one. It all depends what set of 6 you use. If you get single high strings, be sure to get a lot of them -- I seem to wear out mine every three gigs.

No, I wasn't wondering IF you could do it -- I'm sure you can! I was just wondering what brand of bass it was. And your answer is, it doesn't exist yet!

And yes, I know Jaco did it all with four, but I'm not as good as he was, so I need a few more...

10. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I got the Ken Smith's from JS last time and it was a good 'quick fix' They have 100 hrs on 'em and still got tone. I do clean 'em after every use.:)