where do you buy your basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dimplebutt, Feb 4, 2004.

1. dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    I live in Los Angeles, and i can't seem to find any decent bass stores. anyone suggestions? also maybe we should turn this into a resource page for all areas.
    Oh by the way are there other good places to find used gear besides ebay, recycler, this forum classified section, or harmony-central?
  2. dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    cool hey smash.. were you the one that bought the yorkville 400 watt bass head?
    the reason why i'm askign is that i actually bought one and it's on it's way.. should get here mon. and i wanted to see how you liked it.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I buy quite a bit off eBay, then there's online stores like Musician's Friend (seldom for instruments unless it's a great closeout deal) or places like Bass Northwest and Bass Central which specialize in high end basses via Mail Order. Most places have an acceptable return policy just in case it's not perfect.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I currently own 4 basses. 2 were purchased from Vintage Bass Trading Company, 1 was from MusicYo, the other was pieced together by me (Warmoth body, Karl Hoyt custom neck).
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bass Central, Access Bass and Bass NW
  6. Roger Sadowsky and Carey Nordstrand.

Thats where my new Nordstrand is coming from.
    It should be here tomorrow.

Check out the new pics on Careys site.

Jay at www.blueberryhillbass.com is a great guy to deal with, and offers basses from what I consider the best luthiers in the business.

I also agree with Jeff, you can't go wrong with a bass from CAREY NORDSTRAND or ROGER SADOWSKY.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Three in the last month and a half from BassCentral and likely more in the future. Gard is such a nice guy and shipping is freakin' quick. Prices can't be beat either, I've looked around!

(disclaimer: Beaver and Grasshopper are nice guys too but I haven't talked to them for more than a few seconds at a time)

I pretty much buy small stuff, accessories, pedals, cables, etc from places like MusFriend, Sam Ash, GC, etc. Bought my ThunderChief from GC but that's just because it was there begging me to take it home. =0)
  9. I got my first bass from Soto so it was localmy second bass from Rondo Music via online, my first amp head from eBay. I then was turned off to TB buying after my cab incident then SMASH hit me up with a PM when I was looking for a 4 string jazz and now I'm turned back on thanks to his excellent service.
  10. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have bought alot of mine at Sam Ash when they have there
    12 month or 14 month payment specials. I then pay them off
    before the end so I dont get charged the finance fee's. This
    has worked out real good for me the last few years. They also
    Match any advertised price, so you can get a good price and
    take up to a year or more to pay it off. Last time I bought
    one there was 2001. I bought my Geddy Lee Jazz and they
    were giving 18 months to pay. I also have a Musicians Freind
    and Guitar Center charge card, sometimes they offer extended terms as well.
  11. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My current basses are all factory direct from either Fury in Saskatoon or Carvin in California. I enjoy leaving out the middleman.
  12. dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    oh wow alot of you guys get your gear online.. hmm i guess that makes sense since compared to guitarist bassist are one in a million. Either way keep them coming.. any really good places for used gear?
  13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I HIGHLY reccomend Bass Alone. Good selection of great basses, great service, and LOTS of options.

Dan K.
  14. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    On Ebay; its a disease....
  15. Bass Northwest and Bass Central are the two places where I've felt completely comfortable with every deal. I've also been very happy with Steve Barr of Vintage Bass Trading Co.

I've also experienced honor and service above reproach from top luthiers I've dealt with such as Roger Sadowsky, Mike Tobias, Mike Lull, Dan Lakin, Joe Zon, Keith Roscoe, Ned Steinberger.

Keep in mind that most deals that seem too good to be true, usually are.

16. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I bought two off a bass guitar collector out in LA (Sad, GW1), one from Bass Central (SR5), one from JR Brown (55-94), a couple from Ben in C-town (NJS, Carvin), one from Carvin (LB75), a few from local Tampa shops, including my present bass (Q5), and a few via ebay (Cirrus basses).
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I bought my fender jazz (no longer own) my hohner and my godin on ebay and my essex at rondomusic. Have yet to actualy PLAY a bass before i buy it. *tee hee*
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I get all I can from Brian Barrett @ www.thelowend.net & I'd call JPJ for anything Brian couldn't get me.

I've also order from Lemurmusic and of course... eBay.
    In the past I'd run to Rudy's on 48th in NYC or Long&McQuade in Fairfield,NJ
  19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I got mine at the only Guitar store in Canada(lol)
  20. jaco_is_god

Feb 6, 2004
    Removed by Moderator due to offensive content and insults. We do not tolerate insults at Talkbass. Do it again, and you will be banned. Consider this your only warning!:mad: