Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you buy your CDs online?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm just wondering because I go to half.com and it kinda sucks. I originally went there because it's cheap, but it's hard to find rarer stuff at a decent price. I'm just wondering what my other options are.

Even just for kicks, are there any rare cds for sale based sites? Even if they are pricey, it would be fun to check out.

2. When I buy CDs online it tends to be a local band in some city/state and I just get them from www.cdbaby.com Good service, quick shipping.

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I never buy any CDs online. It would probably be a good idea, but I have never done it. If I were, I would probably just get them from Amazon.com, but what do I know? :)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ebay more often than not.

brad cook

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some sites which have made a few bucks off me-

www.dustygroove.com
    ...they're outta Chi-Town. If you're into Old Skool R&B/Funk &/or Chicago Avant Jazz or 'hard-to-find' Blue Notes. A lotta used vinyl & their DVD section is growing.

www.downtownmusicgallery.com
    ...outta NYC. Tons(literally) of even more 'hard-to-find' Avant & Free Jazz titles. Their Rock section is more than one would expect, too(they don't stock the sorta Rock you can pick up at Wal-Mart).
    ;)
    www.audiophileimports.com
    ...who hasn't been there, yet?

Then there's www.cheap-cds.com
    ...pretty quick delivery; they have some 'hard-to-find' titles + a lotta of contemporary/current things.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I never dreamed I would, either. Now it is rare that I don't.
    There is a Mom & Pop store here locally that is very, very good(but very, very small).
    In the past, I would order stuff through them...I just got weary of it taking 1-2 months(sometimes) to get something.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I order off Amazon, often going with their independent sellers section; you can get some hard-to-find discs for really cheap. You have to be careful about shipping because it can add up, but more often than not you get a great deal.

For my many punk records:

www.angryyoungandpoor.com

www.interpunk.com

www.rarepunk.com

www.verydistro.com

For other random stuff:

www.jumpuprecords.com

The rest of the time I order directly from the distributors or the record labels. I've checked out cdbaby several times and haven't been too impressed by it. I guess someday I may order something from them, but not anytime soon.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When you know what day it will be can you shoot me a PM so I can put it on my calendar? Thanks.

brad cook

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I get most of my music from the iTunes music store. $10 an album, sometimes cheaper(I usually get the cheaper stuff) Plus iTMS has a over 400 indie labels on board including CDbaby, so often times local acts and smaller bands you might hear about are on there(like, deepbob's band for instance, or my friend brian granger)

pros, very fast, no sales tax. 1 million+ songs online, integrated into iTunes
    cons, it's compressed audio, sure it sounds pretty good, but ultimately it'll never sound GREAT especially out of really nice speakers(fortunately I don't have really nice speakers, so I can deal)

10. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I buy my CDs from Borders, Tower Records, and Rasputin. If I need to special order anthing, I always do it from Borders because they have a policy that if it takes more than 7 days, it's free. So I feel I don't need to shop online for CDs even though it might be a better price.

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    www.secondspin.com for used cds, in addititon to these others listed.

yeah, amazon, second spin, and itunes.

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    You should see it advertised at your local liqour store.

I plan to send out cardboard cut-outs of a beautiful woman in a swimsuit (whose breasts may or may not be airbrushed) to annouce its coming.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  15. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    www.amazon.ca

I usually try to go direct from the label, or the bands website If I'm looking for something very obscure though.

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Amazon. But I prefer just to go to A&B Sound... it's cheaper, and you don't have to wait! :bassist:

17. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I'll add a +1 to that as well :)

18. ebay...you always have dealers starting cd's off at 1c...its amazing...i picked up half my primus catalog for 5c, then $15 postage...but its kinda tedious, i always get these cd's for fairly cheap, i dont mind paying international postage but sometimes it takes like 6 months to get here from the us, but it always changes..like i just got vail johnsons say's who (which is a great album) for $5us, with $6 postage and it only took 2 weeks to get here...but i also got stu hamms kings of sleep for $2us, $8 postage and it took 6 months, and i got stanley clarkes 1,2 to the bass for .50c and postage was $6 and it took 3 months.....but you can always pickup some good deals off there;....i went and saw tool here 2 years ago, that week i was looking at tool stuff on ebay and i found a bootleg cd of that concert....i thought it was hilarious

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow, secondspin is crazy!

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This site had a lot of stuff, but this

Pissed me off, because I found a lot of the rare CDs I've been looking for, but they were all like 13 and up. Most of the stuff seems to be pretty expensive despite the name.