1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where do you buy your used gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Ioannucci, Apr 19, 2006.

1. this is what i wish to know. the only paces that i can seem to find are here, the bay, and basscentral. i klnow theres gotta be a whole boatload of places out there(reputable ones at that) that carry stuff.

2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I either go with talkbass.com or trade up music right here in portland oregon

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Pawn shops are great if you know what you're looking for and how make sure everything is alright with the gear.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I usually go to one of those all night used gear places.

5. all night used gear places?

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's like those all night wicker stores, except they sell bass gear.

7. still am a little lost....

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I get my used gear at trusted local music stores, including one that specalizes in used gear. I would also buy from talkbass members, but I try to avoid the ebay.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    www.bassnw.com and Talkbass for me.

In the past year, I have bought a 62 Jazz neck, a Schroeder cab, and a Tuki cover from Tb'rs in the USA and Canada.

Talkbass is a great place to find gear.

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Craig list.
    Local/statewide classified adds.
    Place your own add, "seeking used bass equipment".
    Go to as many pawn/music stores as you can find.
    Tell all your frends, to be on the lookout for used gear.
    I have found lots of band gear at Garage sales.

11. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Talkbass or Ebay.

12. I've bought off Talkbass and ebay, but I prefer to do local when it's available. There's bound to be a shop or two around you that carry used gear, and there's probably at least a couple internet classifieds sites for your area that have used gear listings.

13. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you are In Conn I would try Daddys Junky Music. www.daddysjunkymusic,com. They list their stuff on their web site and you can get extended warranty on anything. And they are decent pricewise. There is one near Manchester and one in Vernon I don't know where else in conn but their website will tell you.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Used? Never.

Seriously.....TalkBass and The Dudepit are the only places I will buy used gear.

-Mike

15. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Local music stores. I want to get my hands on (and take apart) anything I'm going to buy used.
    Edit: That is, i want to open up basses/guitars and take a look inside. Not amps!

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Talkbass! It's the only place I buy used gear. Both my amp head and cab came from the TB classifieds and I have got a killer rig that I picked up for some pretty killer prices. (thank you babaseen and dcr) I honestly believe that many talkbass members sell cheaper to the TB community than what they would ask for other places, and I think that people really give full disclosure here and don't try to pawn off damaged equipment. I still make sure that the seller is a "regular talkbasser" (that they've posted in plenty of threads, and not somebody who just registered to sell a piece of gear) and now that we have a feedback forum, I would check that too. I've always had confidence when making a deal with a TB'er - in fact, I skip money orders and paypal and all of that and just send them a personal check and trust them to ship the gear when my check clears at their bank and I've never had a problem. I am not recommend that others be SO trusting, but personally - I have that much confidence in my fellow TB'ers. This is one of the biggest reasons that I make a point of supporting this site.

When selling gear, I'm too lazy to learn how to package things properly and ship them - so I sell used gear through Bass Northwest (most of their used inventory is consignment) Those guys are fantastic too - they help you price the gear you are selling and they won't let you ask more than what a piece of gear is worth.

17. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

www.daddys.com

Daddy's Junky Music. They also have stores in CT. Daddy's
    is also a good barometer of used gear price ranges.

Also from TB classifieds and The Dudepit.
    Only once from Ebay, but the seller operated a
    music store. I avoid Ebay on used gear.

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Whenever possible, I stick with the fine folks on the talkbass.com classifieds. In all my trading I have never had a sour deal on talkbass. I've gotten the short end of a bad deal multiple times by buying on ebay.

If you want something that basscentral or BassNW has, that is a very good option as well (perhaps better, a little more expensive, but a little more secure), and I can vouch that they are both stand-up people who are easy to work with, and who resolve problems well. I'd assume any of the other bass-centric music stores with websites would be just as good.

I've also done deals from harmony-central ads, but you have to really be careful there.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ