Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where Do You Draw the Line?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen S, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I've written a few songs on bass that I've turned into complete songs that sound great. But I have trouble choosing what I want. Part of me wants to write great songs for bass to bring more eyes to the wonderful instrument, and the other part wants to write great multilayed songs. Does anyone else struggle with this?

2. Yeah I know what you are talking about. If I´m writing a song by myself or if I´m writing the bassparts for my band you alway feel that you wnat to showcase your wonderful instrument but in the end I think you have to se the big picture, are the bass the most important instrument in ypur band or is the guitar or piano or whatever the dominant instrument.

Also an other thing that I do is to simply alternate. Write on on song with some cool inricate wicked basslines where the bass leads the song and then write some piece fueld bu heavy guitar riffing or lead melodies.

What kind of music do you play? That is what it comes down to, then of course you can change your style a bit you don´t wanna get stuck in a box. :bassist:

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    The bands I join are usually rock/metal bands so I can play parties. When I write it is usually very melodic, classical type stuff.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The simplest catchy POP tune can still have a killer hook that's technical.

It depends on what kind of songs you want to write. Try it all.

5. When making up stuff to play with people, I keep it simple, but there are still songs that I made to be done solo :p

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Why draw the line? Why write one way or the other. Writing is a creative process, if the song is bass driven or simple who cares. Write the song however you want to, anyway you want to. Don't let anyone tell you you just want to be Jaco so you write complicated bass lines, so what if they don't like it tell them to write thier own songs. Then again the next song you write will be more core notes and that's fine too.

7. complicated bass lines are no more than wank when they don't have a strong song to support. Maybe not true in every single case, but songs are more a means of communication and expression than a vehicle to show off an instrumentalist's capabilites. That's why I listen to, say, Led Zeppelin or XTC more than Yngwie or Dream Theater.

8. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    When I'm writing on bass I almost always think of structure and framework before bass parts. After I have those worked out, the bass part comes to me... or they are one and the same.