1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wimsta, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Not a bass ,but a car .
    I had a car that ran well ,but was not desirable to own if you had to buy it. Nevertheless I could have easily gotten $500 for it.
    Someone I knew said they needed a car for their son who was a new driver .
    I gave him the car .
    He then sold it within a week,and didn't buy his son a car period.
    That's not right.

If someone wants a deal and gives you a charity story ,and you willingly help them out ,only for them to sell it for a profit is just not right. It's not that you agreed to sell it cheaper. It's that you were willing to help them out in a time of supposed need and hardship. True charity. It's deceptive behavior.
    Haggling is one thing ,lying is another . It's poor character.

If someone buys your bass at an agreed price and then flips it for a profit is ok by me. Nothing deceptive.

Flooflox likes this.
  2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    When I sell, I usually ask what I want for the item and factor in shipping because that has become a large percentage of the sale lately. I try to accurately disclose any issues, but I think some people have unrealistic expectations. Selling a 15 year old bass and they want a detailed description of every ding or scratch? That's a buyer that I pass on. When the item sells, it's your item and you can do whatever you want with it. Play it, flip it, whatever.

When I buy, I don't care why you need the money, if your car broke down, your funding a new bass, paying for college, whatever - that's your business. If your price is right, I'll pay it. The sob stories tend to turn me off and I'll avoid a purchase that I would otherwise buy. If you're under financial distress, maybe you're not shipping with all the packing you could or shipping the slowest possible method.

If I sell in person and we've agreed on a price and you try to give a lower offer I'll simply put the item back into my car and leave.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I expect reasonably full disclosure from the seller with regards to condition.

I expect a reasonable and businesslike behavior on the part of the seller - which basically means buying in good faith and respecting terms in the item’s write up such as “firm,” and “shipping CONUS only.”

I don’t want to hear your life story, anything at all about your political opinions (e.g. “I only buy products made in the USA”), your religious beliefs (“God wants me to be a musician and I’ll need your help with financing to fulfill his decree.”), or that you can get better elsewhere for less and I’m crazy asking what I am for something.

Beyond that I believe that when I sell something it is no longer any business of mine what happens to it afterwards. If somebody flips it for double what they paid me it’s still no concern to me. I got the price I wanted when I sold it. So I’m good.

To me there’s no possibility of any ethical issues at all - as long as you stick to your pricing and policies and don’t let yourself get dragged into any side issues extraneous to your buying or selling something.

Keep it simple and it usually will be. :)

4. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Ethics question: does TB allow us to comment if a bass/etc is horrifically overpriced? I know I tend to aim a little high my pricing but I've noticed some whacky prices lately

5. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Why worry about it. Once you sell it the buyer is free to do as pleased. If a bass was sold low due to a sob story, oh well. I would hate to see a favorite of mine get trashed or whatever, but I no longer own it. If someone can flip and make money, good for them they recognized a deal and went for it. It is up to the seller to know worth of their item, do your research spend some time comparing. It's usually buyer beware, but it's also seller know your ware.

6. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I expect honesty as far as the known condition of the item I'm buying. I'm not a major haggler with private purchases, that said I do know the "range" of what is acceptable before I make the time to go look at something. Obviously if it's on the high end of that range, I'm not interested. I don't buy the high end products so a fair deal vs a good might amount to less that $75? for stuff I'd want. All this being said, I'm not bucks up, this post probably let you in on that, if not, my wife would gladly tell you that I'd be much better off if I always asked if that was the seller's best price. :)

7. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I usually price my items at what the market is or a little lower. I remember when I first joined TB reading a thread where quite a few people tended to post high as a starting point for negotiation.

Frankly, I like selling and buying things, not negotiating about selling or buying things.

Brother Goose likes this.
  8. Bassmantd

Bassmantd Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2015
    When I ask about the condition of something, I hope that they are honest. I recently received something With the understanding that it was in great condition. It had a ding on the lower horn and several scratches on the bottom. Not what I consider great! But,, not everyone's idea is the same as mine. Just wish people would be more transparent. Especially when you live across the country and shipping costs too much to send it back.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  9. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Live be caveat emptor. Buyer beware. And always hope for the best but expect the worse.

I bought something from Facebook marketplace and drove 50 mi with cash in hand. The guy said he already sold it “sorry”. Yes that happens. Another I drove a considerable ways and the guy raised the price another hundred saying that’s what he was offered from someone else.”but if you want to match it...” I said ok and turned away and then he starts in, “well we can make a deal” in other words there was nobody else.

I’ve come up with a fair price and heard, “ok what’s your bottom dollar?” I usually say, “do you go to Walmart or the gas station and ask them the same thing? Take care”. In other words I’m not broke and I don’t have to get rid of it.

I have made online purchases and have been disappointed, but don’t say much because it’s usually my fault. And sob stories are worthless.

10. As a buyer I don’t buy anything I don’t intend to use from that point on. I don’t intentionally lowball people. I offer what I responsibly can. All the used basses I’ve purchased over the years stayed around for while. I have profited from the sale of used basses compared to what I paid for them but only in cases where I owned the bass at least for a year. I do morally disagree with act with using sob stories and stuff in order to get a good deal knowing you’re going to immediately flip the bass for a profit and never even give it an honest try. For example I encourage people to play bass but if you are just trying to make money and have no intention to play I do think it’s wrong to try to use that against me. That said I think it’s perfectly fine if you buy a used bass and play a couple gigs and decide it doesn’t live up to your expectations or it’s somehow not a good fit. For me though that is normally a few gigs as I’ll at minimum try different strings on it first lol.

As a seller I don’t sell anything I don’t want to sell. And I’ll just leave it at that.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I see your point. What I mean is that if you make someone take the time, you should do it in good faith. There isn't an obligation to buy, of course, but if you take someone's time knowing full well that you aren't going to go through with it, that's not respectful.

fhm555 likes this.
  12. If I do it, it must have felt ok to me to do it. If someone else does it to me, i react badly at first, and in the old days I'd rant at them in email. Now however i get it, i wait to calm down, and i remember why i sold it at the price i did (generally in a rush, sometimes unaware of true value).

My bad either way.... so all good.

Cheers

13. It definitely can be annoying how nit picky some people can be. I sold a pedal about two years ago on eBay and the buyer tried to give me a bad rating because he said it wasn’t packed well. I talked to eBay and explained how it was packed and that the item is literally designed to be stepped on by a human being. Still have my 100% seller rating. I’ve also had people ask stupid questions about basses. Like ask me to take a picture to better show the string height and then say the action is too high. It’s Adjustable morons!!!! I mean I’m happy to show that the neck is straight. Action is a preference thing not necessarily a gear issue

14. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    A friend was selling a nice but not mint MiM P bas on ebay and had a 250.00 BIN.. A guy wanted him to get some kind of a micrometer set up to show how bad the fretwear was on it. My buddy blocked him..

TheReceder likes this.
  15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Why? Total stranger looking for the best possible price.

So they try a sob story to save few bucks. Who cares?

TheReceder likes this.
  16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    The only lie I don't want to hear is "of course it's not counterfeit".

I could pretty much care less about any back story, or a sob story that's intended to influence price.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  17. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal

18. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I sell something for a price I want to get. If the buyer can flip it and make more money, more power to them. Once I sell it, it's theirs and they can do whatever they want with it.

Good Luck!

Hounddog409 likes this.
  19. A USED pizza? :wacky:

20. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i feel like this a community of like minded folks from the Deep End ...

i feel responsible to always do my due diligence about stuff i'm buying or looking at ...

just because someone is telling you everything they know or see ,... doesn't mean you won't see other things ..!!!

i've never felt deceived in any buying/selling here on TB ... which i look at every day , leading to buying more stuff i don't need and selling other stuff i kinda like , but need even less ..!!

knowledge draws my line ..!!