1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wimsta, Jun 12, 2019.

1. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    With the exception of actual dishonesty I really don't care too much. If I buy anything then I must have felt that it was worth the price to me to obtain it. I live in a free market economy, if someone before me paid less for it, well good luck to them.

If someone misrepresents something about it, that's a whole different thing and I get grumpy.

2. Caveat emptor.
    Caveat venditor.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  3. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I expect simple, reasonable honesty, that’s about it. What someone does with an item I sell them is none of my business. Normal information about the condition of an item should be disclosed up front of course; weird persnickety details should be disclosed if asked about, to the best of one’s ability. The correct reaction to a lowball offer or an excessively high price is to politely decline or politely counteroffer. And unless there is overwhelmingly obvious and 110% indisputable bad faith on the part of the other person, you handle any problems or complications privately and do not bring them out into the public eye.

4. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I went into a certain music store to sell a bass for quick cash. I expected to get $100 for it since this store just looks up used prices and pays me half of that.

To my surprise, the guy tells me that he'll give me $500 for it.

He must have looked up the wrong model buy I said nothing, took the cash and left. I didn't feel bad because they always lowball me.

I looked up the bass on their site later and it was selling for $199. Maybe someone got a stern talking-to.

thebreakman likes this.
  5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Well said. This is exactly how I feel as well.

When I'm buying, I ask questions and thoroughly inspect the item. When I'm selling, I disclose everything.

I have had a few issues with buyers and sellers but the vast majority of the time, the transaction has been positive.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  6. I don't get it. What right do you have saying what a person should or should not do with something you are selling. You are selling an item therefore, you don't want it. It's not yours anymore. Who cares what they do with it when it's out of your possession.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  7. Cardsfan_69

Cardsfan_69 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Iowa
    I figure if I sell something it's because I no longer want or need it. To assume that I have any stake, interest or influence over the next owner's use of or treatment of the item would be completely inappropriate.
    Bottom line, if I sold it I don't give a rodent's backside what they do with or to it.

8. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    It's sad when our culture has sunk down to levels where lying is a defacto standard.

Proverbs 12:22, The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy.