1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do you get boxes for shipping??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by simongpaez, Mar 25, 2009.

1. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    It is always an issue for me , I sell a bass and don't have a box, go to Guitar Center never have one, other music stores same deal, where do you get boxes to ship your basses???

2. A UPS or Fed Ex store will have a box for ya, for a price.:mad:

3. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Try a bicycle shop.

You can cut down bicycle boxes.They work really well.

I ship guitars & basses all the time in bike boxes.

If you can get away with it,it's actually illegal in someplaces,dumpster dive at your local guitar shop or bicycle shop.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Go ask Guitar Center or your local music shop for one, or, consult your yellow pages for "box makers" and see if there are any local "corrugated container" manufacturers. I'm lucky in that I have on 3 minutes away.

5. slightbasscat13

slightbasscat13

Sep 16, 2007
    media, pa
    Quote 1 "Go ask Guitar Center or your local music shop for one,..'

One would think you would read the post before responding!

2nd Quote or rather 1st statement "It is always an issue for me , I sell a bass and don't have a box, go to Guitar Center never have one, other music stores same deal, where do you get boxes to ship your basses???"

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Feel better now? I mean really, get over yourself. I read the thread title, and didn't feel the need to go further as it was all spelled out in the thread title... so, I responded, and with more than the GC suggestion might I add, if you bothered to read my reply before spewing your vitriol. And for your 4th post, no less.

Oh, and while you're at it, why not chastise the OP for double thread posting both here and in the basses forum...since you're such a stickler for reading, maybe perhaps one has read the forum rules???

7. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I'm sure furniture stores would have some big ones you could cut down to size.

8. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Most of mine are recycled from basses I've bought off ebay..... when I shipped a acoustic guitar in a case recently, I kept an eye out at my work (retail store) until a box that a display came in was about the right size.. Said box never made it to the bailer, I cut it down and retapped it and viola! Guitar box!
    You can piece boxes together.
    You could also check with any storage places around you, many of em here sell boxes and lamp boxes are about the right size for a padded bass.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Do those fit basses ?

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I second the idea of bicycle boxes. They're generally triple wall, VERY solid, and offer better protection than the boxes most manufacturers use. Why? Because Fender has to factor the cost of thousands of those boxes against the potential for loss. So they opt for a cheaper box and the savings helps pay for the occasional loss.

When I'm shipping something though, it's a one-time investment. And I get the box for free from my favorite bike shop. Plus, it's another excuse to go hang at the bicycle shop and suffer GAS there too!!!

John

11. Yes, I've used them a half dozen times and everything that I've shipped has fit.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I work in packaging.

13. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    In college, I worked at one of those "pack it & ship it" places. We adapted our own boxes. It's possible to DIY, so try the dumpsters behind strip malls. Lamp stores, bridal stores, ceiling fan stores... they've all got unique proportions to them that you can really work with.

14. mikerophone

mikerophone

Mar 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    it's weird that guitar center would never have a box. that's where i always go. i've never seen their dumpster NOT filled with guitar boxes.

15. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Try and independent guitar store - not Guitar Center.

In the Bay Area all that cardboard gets' recycled and most places put it aside for the cast of clowns who come buy to bring it to the Recycling Center for $$...

Guitar Center SUCKS.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thank you :)