Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you get green or colored strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tim Schnautz, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Seriously! a guy was playing in a gospel quartet at my home church in the early 70's, and I remember he was playing a RIC 4001 in fireglo(?) and it was strung with green tapewoulds.

Does anybody know of these type of string? or any other color'd strings for that matter.

THANKS!
    Tim

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey, I think I know what you're talking about. At Guitar Center, the loveliest of all music stores:rolleyes: , there was this Ibanez:rolleyes: that had these interesting blue-colored strings. Not full head-on blue, but roundwound blue, like 1 of the strands wound on it was blue and the rest were normal steel. It felt like a dream, very easy to slide, the tension was good, too. I asked the GC guy and he told me the name but I have forgotten about it already. Maybe you could go to GC, look if they have those particular strings, and ask them. Sorry, man.

3. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know what your talking about. I saw a BTB with those strings on it. The guy there said he knew how to get 'em if I wanted them. I don't, they felt funny, but I could find out for you.

Dave

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I saw the same things on a btb once... the whole string wasn't coloured... but more like one strand was... it felt pretty good to me.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It sounds like something Trace Elliot might have put out, but I'm only guessing...

6. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Exactly.

Dave

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, i bet this thread would find a better home elsewhere.

like the "strings" forum. :rolleyes:.

8. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    you know, i bet this thread would find a better home elsewhere.

like the "strings" forum. .

You're probably right, Bro. Turner.

But I had to start somewhere.
    Tim

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    labella makes some black tapewounds. they might be paintable.

(thought i'd add something useful :D )

10. i believe ernie ball used to make strings in different colors (red, at least) but i don't think they do any more.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    why do you need colored strings? They probably dont sound as good as regular nickel or stainless strings. The BTB strings are pretty cool though. I just dont like the feel.

12. my BTB only has standard steel... :(

13. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Actually, these were a green, tapewound string.
    I believe they were flat tapes and not round wound tapes.

I don't need them, but I thought tat a set around here would be cool. in anything else, for nostolgia.

"painted strings?"....good lord, Turner!:rolleyes:

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, you wanted green, i'm trying to accomodate you. :D

15. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet that those blue stings are Rotosounds of some kind...

16. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey... ibanez makes them, they're advertized on the website.. they are half-copper and half stainless steel... to offer "the dark warm lows of copper and the bright clear highs of stainless steel" according to them...

these are the half blue half silver ones you were talking about.. its on the website under accessories, i can't post a link because it's all java or something...