Where do you get your boxes to ship basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by namuxtree, Apr 21, 2014.

1. I've been recycling boxes I get when I buy basses to ship basses, but it's gotten to the point where I have no boxes to ship with and finding boxes that can accommodate a bass in a hardshell case plus filler packing is hard to find. My local GC mostly has boxes that can fit just the bass itself with no case and are flimsy at best. Any suggestions?

2. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
  3. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    I just shipped a Gibson SG bass a few weeks back, and was in the same situation as you. I made my own! Find your self a nice big sheet of very heavy duty card board, a roll of heavy duty shipping tape, a ruler, pencil, a straightedge, Take the measurements of the case and build yourself a box to accept it plus a bit more for packing foam. I even added some edge reinforcements to the 4 long sides. When the buyer recieved it, he commented on how well it was packed! I told him that I built the shipping box myself. He could not believe it. I took me about an hour to pack and build, but well worth it to me. I know I would not want a shabbily packed bass shipped my way! The key is to bend the cardboard using a straight edge,

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    GC Dumpster on a non rainy Sunday!

PortlandBass77 and Remyd like this.
  5. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    I have used a couple GC guitar boxes and made one big enough for bass. I found that 2 electric guitar boxes and 2 acoustic will give you enough cardboard to double box with a layer of packing in between. Anyone who's bought from me knows that I overdo the packing too.

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I ask my local music stores and they give them to me.

VifferMike likes this.
  7. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    The UPS Store and places like Postal Connection will make boxes to your specs. Usually costs $15 at P.C. and about $22 at UPS.

8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I shipped a bass in a bicycle box. I had to cut it to fit on the top and added some padding.

I got it from the local bike shop. It worked really well.

9. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... sounds like a great reason to buy a bass ;)

.. but honey, I needed a box to ship the old one in!

bThumper38 likes this.
  10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

:thumbsup: I just nabbed a bicycle box too!

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ask for Musicman boxes since those always ship with cases.

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    local box store--$11. same box at UPS $111.

13. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

Uhaul is your best bet, or just buy basses frequently and keep the boxes.:thumbsup:

14. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    Genius

15. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    For the last bass I shipped I found a large piece of flat cardboard from an auto glass shop and cut it to fit over the bass [in its case]. It wasn't pretty, but it was safe.

16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Another vote for uline. When I shipped my basses from East to West, I used their boxes and they worked great.

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I have like 20 boxes in the basement... wife is bugging me to get rid of them, so yes, I have some for free...

18. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Another U-Haul user here.

19. Several years ago I had to use the UPS store. I never thought of bThumper38's idea....U-haul. Dang!

20. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    +1

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021