Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you go to get picked up?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    How do you guys generally go about joining a band? I know that when I try to find a quick gig as a bass player it is not all that difficult. But finding a worthwhile band to be dedicated to is difficult- and it's even more difficult when I'm playing guitar in a band to find a dedicated bass player.

Let's share stories about joining bands- I've had some funny experiences lately. Also if any NYC area bassists are itching to work on some very cool music, please let me know.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ask, talk, look everywhere! You neverknow where you will find other musicians worth dealing with. The band I'm in now consists of the following:
    guitarist - met him in law school never knew he played guitar until I knew him for 2 years.
    drummer - played with him over a decade ago - happened to find his parents' old address in my old address book I was going to throw out - he was there for the day.
    guitarist - answered an ad on a guitar shop bulletin board.

Ya never know ...:D

3. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Good call! A good friend of mine met a kid at a Rush concert and then happened to find out they went to school together. They've been in a band for 2 years now.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    By the way, not sure what area you are looking to play, but our band is playing in Bridgeport, CT Saturday night (check out gig calendar). A couple of friends should be stopping by who own a music store in the area, and who have lots of contacts.

5. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Tasty, maybe I'll try to drop by. I'm not too far out and I'm in Connecticut a lot.

6. i always gets asked to join a band right before the band has a show. haha. i learn the material then proceed to rock out hard.

7. I have the exact opposite problem...I should make a thread..."How can I get stupid high school kids to stop asking me to join their stupid pathetic bands?!"

Hehe. Gaining a reputation as a good bass player is good. If you havent got to that point I agree with previous statements. Networking is vital.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Public toilets, bars, street corners? :D

Naah, classified ads are good. local music venues are usually a good start.

When someone asks you to join their band it is a compliment, regardless of how cr~p the band might be. Try accepting it as such and just say "no sorry I'm already in a band". Simple!

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Play worse. ;)

10. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    U know whats impossible to find, a talented punk guitarist, and my search continues.

I met a couple other punks with tons of musical background and experience. They also were bass players. Bum.

11. Cattle calls are low-percentage shots - I've met a handful of good musicians and a boatload of very misguided people in my band searches. I would agree with the best (and most difficult) way - networking with compatible musicians. That said, I've found some cool dudes via a local internet music site. I threw up an ad without expecting much but I hope to stick with them for a while.

12. Ad's, Ad's and more Ad's.

I try not to make a band with friends, instead of making friends with a band. I've met good and alot of bad people through the ad's, but it's helped me alot.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's no joke. And that's why I envy super-talents here like Steve Lawson and Mike Dimin....they seem to have found their own answers.

The worst experience I had when I tried to get a band together with a concept I have, (after weeding out the drummers who weren't going to jail on a DUI/spiking their veins), was with a very talented guitarist who had bugs, LITERLALLY!!!! This guy was so good, the rhythm-player/vocalist, who had played with CMA award winners Diamond Rio, knew he couldn't play lead with this guy.
    I mean, the wife of our singer didn't want this guy coming into their spankin' brand new house at rehearsal because the guy had "critters" on him, (that's what they call them around here). But he could play the ass off his `72 ash Strat when he wasn't working on becoming a licensed plumber. BUT, the guy actually had "critters" on him!!!

So it goes. I'll take a guy/girl who treats every gig thoroughly, professionally, as a job.....that means not only getting your head into it, but dressing/looking the part as well...not as an opportunity to "mount another head" on their bedroom wall.

14. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    I read the boards @ the local music stores, check the musicans wanted ads on the Music Recycler.com, meeting 1 or 2 always turns into 3 or 4 then we just filter out the weak....hehe
    The 3 other members of my/our band (A.T.U.) have been workin our 15 song set (all originals) for 6 months now and have our demo and 1st Real gig Jan. 9-04
    @ the Aladin Hotel IBZA USA in Vegas for the annual AVN awards show ! Ohh Hell Ya !!
    Although six Months seems pretty fast to have done this w/ this group of dudes, it all comes down to quality of musicans, ability and dedication....
    Keep Lookin Bro.....:cool:

Any TB'ers in Vegas come on down.....
    Here's the linkage.....
    DISCLAIMER:
    (NOT SCHOOL OR WORK SAFE)
    http://www.wetnwilddance.com/

Jeff
    --------

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    That's a cool gig - I've been to an AVN show before - I swear it was work related. :)

For future reference and as a courtesy to TB members surfing at work or school, such AVN links should be labeled as NOT work or school safe.

16. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.

No Prob. Point taken....

Jeff
    -------