where do you jazz guys play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flury, Jun 1, 2004.

1. flury

May 21, 2004
    Where do you play on your jazz bass? Comfortably I play right over the neck pickup. Which usually leads me to catching my pick on it once and a while. It makes this noise that can be easily heard through my amp. I dont know if its just a bad playing habit and I should try playing somewhere else (even though I always drift back to that position) or just trade the bass in for something that setup alittle better for where I play.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If Im using both pickups full on I play right over the bridge p/u but I dont use a pick. Sometimes I like to cut the neck p/u volume and and play right over the bridge p/u for super punchy stuff. I think it would be a bit extreme to sell your bass because you are hitting the pickup with your pick. Just work on adjusting your playng position. You could also try fingerstyle...
  3. flury

May 21, 2004
    I play both styles really. Finger for more complex slower stuff and a pick whenever Im rocking out to harder stuff. Its just such a persistant problem...very annoying :mad:
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I agree with the idea of adjusting your position, either in front of or behind the pickup, depending upon desired tone.

I was in a short-lived band in which the guitarist had this terrible habit of hitting his pickup with his pick during solos. Becuase you couldn't tell the guy anything, I just blew it off and eventually drifted away from the loser.
  5. Keep playing in a different spot, such as between the 2 pickups. If u do it enough you will get used to it and you will do it naturally. I personally play by resting my thumb on the bridge PU works for me, but then again i dont use a pick
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My bass isn't a jazz (it's MM/J configuration) but I play about 90% of the time on the bridge pup and 10% on the neck pup. I'm comfortable at both places, but the sound of the bridge is more subtle and smooth and the neck is poppy and audacious.
  7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Do you have the two mixed up possibly? ;)
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I use jazz basses exclusively(Sadowsky's) I seldom use a pick but when i do i tend to play between the pickups or near the bridge(depends on the tune I'm playing) Just move around for the right tone for that song. I wouldnt stop using jazz basses because you hit the pickup here and there good luck

9. appler

appler Guest

I play in between the pickups usually, bridge sometimes... but my last set of strings was way too light because Musician's Friend sent me the wrong ones so I didn't think it justified a setup... now I play way back near the bridge. unless I'm thumpin', of course. :hyper: