Where do you keep your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slickhare, May 22, 2005.

1. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i'm tryin to figure out the best way to keep my bass protected from the dust and other flying particles yet still at hand if i have a few to just thump away. i tried keeping it in the gig bag but i didn't feel comfortable leaning it on the wall or other assorted things in my room, i also tried putting it in the big bulky case with the fuzzy interior that smells really good, but it's such a hassle to put it in and out of that thing :rolleyes: so currently it's sitting on my stand and with brand new strings and coat of wax i'm worried. how can i remedy this dilemma?
  2. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I understand your worry. But we can all drive ourselves nuts worrying about stuff like that.
    Actually to the point of not enjoying the instrument.
    I am a former drummer who was quite worried about my expensive gear getting dinged and scratched while transporting from gig to gig etc. I had some real expensive stuff too(DW drums, Ludwig drums, Vintage Rogers and Ludwig kits). All in hard cases, but still the anxiety.
    But it just isn't worth the worry and anxiety it all causes.

Just enjoy playing the instrument. It is a physical, hands on instrument and should be enjoyed that way.
    Nicks and dings are gonna show up whether you are aware of them or not.
    I hang my Sterling sometimes on a wall, and sometimes it rests in the case.
    All you can do is try a bit to be careful, but don't let it stress you out and take away from the joy of playing the instrument.
    I believe all cars were meant to be driven and all instruments were made to be played. :)
  3. [​IMG] ...Hope that works.
    I have this in the corner of my room. Used to have a single but then i got another bass!
    Best thing I've ever done to make sure my bass doesn't get mangled in a gig-bag or anything in my room.
  4. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I dont suggest hanging a bass by its neck. We do this at the shop where i work (not my descision), and we have to adjust the trussrod every once in a while. Get a stand that supports the body. I feel that this is more okay with guitars, shorter neck, often lighter bodies, doesent warp so easy.

..Er du norsk marty?
  5. Ja, jeg er halvt norsk. Did the email address give it away? It's spelt wrong I know! :bag:
  6. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Nah, i read your website :)
  7. Ah cool. Nice one :) ...sorry, off topic I know. So I'll plug that Warwick guitar stand. I think its worth it
  8. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Jeg er heilt Norsk.

9. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Im just talking people out of wall-hangers, if you can, get a stand.
  10. gforce

Apr 30, 2005
    Here is what I have found works good.I use the K&M body stand(it is a solid little stand that folds away nicely and has adjustable width settings to acomidate a range of diffrent body styles the K&M stands for Konig &Meyer and is made in Germany).Then to protect the rig and strings from airborn dust,smoke,and food muck I get a body length pillow case and make a couple of slits on each side to accomidate the body and simply slide the cover on and off effortlesly when the jam bug bites.I am also working with a friend that likes to sew to custom make some that fit better and offer a cooler fabrick choice. Hopr this gives some good food for thought!!! :bassist:
  11. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    I've had my solid body basses and guitars hanging from the wall for years and never once had to adjust the necks. (I use the hooks similar to the one pictured in an earlier post.) I would suggest that such adjustments are more the result of climate than hanging weight. I keep mine in my finished basement which pretty much remains at 70 degrees all year and is never too dry. My good acoustic's of course are kept humidified in the winter (I'm in the North East) and always in their cases when not being played.
  12. *points to his 5 String Swings in his music room*
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been hanging my basses and guitars by the neck for 3 years now and never had a problem. I have to adjust the truss rod on a couple of them seasonally, but I had to when I kept them in the hardshell cases too.
  14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I keep one in its case (backup) and the other lays in its case unlocked for easy access. If I plan on playing more in the next 1/2 hour or so it goes on a stand.

BTW, I have used wall hangers before with no problems. I just don't use them because of the dust (I live in Tucson!) that collects on them.
  15. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I prop my acoustic electric on a bookcase right next to the recliner where I watch t.v. Commercial breaks, I mute the sound, pick up the bass and put up a few chops. Of course I keep my other basses in stands ready to play whenever I get a moment. That might sound hopelessly proletarian, but that's what I do.
  16. Basis Base

Basis Base Life Long Learner

May 21, 2005
    I keep my bass in the case I bought it in, under my bed. That's when I'm not playing. In between playing, I simply leave it on my bed with something between the neck & headstock, preferably a small pillow.

I'm plan on getting a stand though. The good thing about placing the bass in the open is that you'll be inspired to play every time you look at it. Keeping it hidden away for fear of collecting dust or getting chinked takes away that inspiration.

Putting the bass on a wall bracket would look cool but putting up the bracket itself is hard work. Anyway, this is my personal opinion.
  17. Dell

Apr 7, 2005

heh, I have them on my wall, I also have a younger brother who has younger friends.
    One day I picked my bass off the wall, let the neck slip down my hand as I picked it off the wall... OUCH! a splinter...
    Yes, SOMEONE had pulled my bass by the body away from the wall, forcing the headstock against the wall and there was a nice crack behind the nut. Everyone denies knolledge of how this happend.

So, be carefull with those if idiots are around, and dont think you're doing yourself a favor by putting them high up, it only makes them harder and more determined to get it down.

Luckily I know how to use a bit of glue and wood filler, I used it for a year afterwards and then sold it on.

Thankfully now I have as many hardcases as I do basses, so thats where the live, and my guitars now sit on the wall.
  18. I keep my bass, Next to my cabinets, normally in a hard case- but some times just sat there if I am feeling musical and find the need to constantly play...
  19. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Away from my cats. Cats like basses, inquisitive cats break instruments and get hair in cases!