Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you pick your Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eberrong, Dec 24, 2004.

1. eberrong

eberrong

Dec 21, 2004
    I have had my MM Stingray 4 for a few months now and I am very comfortable with it for finger playing. I can finger it right on the pickup or closer to the neck (for a different sound) very comfortably. When I pick, it seems most comfortable to rest my palm on the bridge so I end up picking near the pickup on the bridge side. This doesn't give me hardly any low end. So I tried picking closer to the neck and got great sound (lots of low end) but found it difficult with no where to rest my palm for playing fast 1/16th note songs.

Where do you pick your Stingray?

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    when I play with a pick on my ray my hand goes anywhere from right over the pickup to the neck. I dont have any problems because i never anchor my palm when i play with a pick. Do u mostly move your wrist to pick, or do u bend at ur elbow? cause i can see if your just using your wrist why ud need to rest ur palm

3. eberrong

eberrong

Dec 21, 2004
    Like you said...I mostly move my wrist for fast up and down picking. I guess it is a habit from playing palm muted power chords on guitar. I understand what you are saying about moving your arm and I will try that. Kind of like strumming chords on a guitar I guess.

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i hold my pick with my first two fingers and i put the finger tips of my 4th finger and pinky close to the edge of the pickguard right near the top up the knob plate. so im actully picking about 2 inches infront the pickup.

...or at least i did when i played with a pick :meh:

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    definatly try pickin by bending at ur elbow rather than at ur wrist, with time ull gain speed, at least thats what works for me

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I tend to pick over the bridge coil of the pickup. And crank the mids and bass. :)

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Were I to HAVE a Stingray...:p

For regular pick playing, I usually play with the bass REALLY high up and I pick around the end of the fingerboard. For whatever reason when I want to do really bloody fast picking, I lower the strap and move from my elbow and pick right in front of the saddles.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I pick mine maybe an inch from the bridge. I don't rest my palm on anything. I do tend to use my other fingers for a guide on the strings I'm not picking on, but I've developed a unique picking style that suits me fine. Playing with a closed fist is so girly.

9. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I play mine mostly with fingers but switch over to a pick for metal or when I sing, so for finger playing I put a plastic finger rest on it just in front of the pick up. I played it like that for about a year and it was fine, just when I was playing with a pick the finger rest was in the way a bit, but if I rest my thumb on the pick up I tend to cut my fingers up on the P/U. So I decided to take the finger rest off and lower the P/U a bit and Im happy with the result- easier pick playing and a more aggressive roar when using fingers. Either with fingers or a pick stingrays sound awesome! ;)

10. I think it would be a good idea to alter your picking technique a little. I guess just get used to resting it a different way. I know that no matter where I pick, my hand is floating or maybe resting on the strings a little. My forearm rests on the upper body and stays pretty stationary, just sliding up or down.