1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do you place your Wah-Wah Pedal in your signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 28, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Here are my two questions:

1) Where do you place your wah wah pedal in your signal chain?

2) My effects chain goes Aphex Bass Xciter, Digitech bass driver, boss bass chorus and cry baby wah-wah pedal. How should I set up this signal chain? Or should I keep it like this?

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    In my chain, I place the wah directly after distortion.

For part 2... Set your pedals up any way you like it. There's no "correct" or "incorrect" way of doing this.

-Dash

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Mine goes after everything but Compression.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    If I ever went back to sigal pedals:

OD -> Wah -> Dist

That way the Wah actually "wahs" cus of the OD, but you can get major grit throughout the whole sweep cus of the DIST after. Both the OD/Dist would have to have blends though....

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks once again guys! :bassist:

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Wah is definately post distortion on my board. Problem is I only use fuzz, so it doesn't work to well pre (it gets eaten) or post (way too big of an effect). Still, I say post.

Try a couple of different setups with your board. I always have modulation near the end, so try the chorus last and maybe the bass exciter post wah? Try a bunch of different setups and see which you like best.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1.

I may change that, though, and put the phaser and delay after it.

8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    mine runs: tuner, octave/ synth (according to set list), dist / fuzz, wah, chorus, meatbox, Hartke vxl (with NE1 in loop)

i found this combination after much trial and error, and rough gigs!!!!

9. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I put my exciter at the end of my chain. Mainly because I sometimes use it as a DI and if I have it at he beginning none of the effects will go through.

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    my wah is my first pedal in my loop. i think im going to rearrange and put it last though.

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I may be in a minority here but I strongly prefer my wah before overdrive or distortion. There are no rules tho so just try it both ways and decide how you like it.

12. my boards always been "whammy>distortion>wah>everything else

but right now its "Whammy>wah>distortion>...." only because the wah used to get in my way when im hitting other pedals between the whammy and others, but i only moved it cuz of the size of it, but im going to pick up some longer patch cables so i can have the wah sitting before distortion but actually running after distortion.

13. Himself

Himself

Jan 4, 2006
    Sweden
    I currently have the wah last, after compression and OD.

I used to have more pedals in my chain and they were then in the following order (bass to amp) envelope -> octaver -> compression -> OD -> wah -> chorus/flanger.

This is what does the trick for me, but you will obviously have to try various set-ups to find your preference.

14. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    My wah is always second to last, infront of my DI+.
    So currently:

Woolly Mammoth>>>Metal Muff>>>Bass Balls>>>Wah>>>DI+

A MXR Smartgate will hopefully soon be added at the end of my chain though.

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I think that w/ the right wah, the wah->od setup can sound AMAZING. Take my RATM on a POD deal. The auto-wah sounds FAT when put before the right amp :D, but the manual sounds pretty weak when put before any od/distortion :(

I believe that Vosk did some samples of a 105q->Boss ODB-3, and it sounded awesome. I tried the same thing with my CFH, and both my sparkle drive and muff'n, and it sucked. SD->CFH->EM sounded cool though.

I would love to try SD->105q->Blowtorch one day. All that blending and switchless action would be sweet :D :bassist:

16. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Didn't like the BlowTorch one bit, sounded like a wasp in can with some clean blended in.

17. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    right now it's placed in my guitar stuff storage area. haven't found a use for it with bass.

18. deadstar

deadstar

Sep 2, 2005
    I put my wah before everything

19. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I used to put my wah right after the octaver and before everything else.

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1

There's two major factors involved:
    - How intense your distortion is
    - How intense your wah is

An intense wah BEFORE a mild overdrive or distortion sounds great. Wah before fuzz isn't very distinguished unless the wah is intense.

Now, wah AFTER distortion usually sounds great, but if it's a fuzz pedal or some intense distortion of sorts, it's going to be a HUGE effect, too huge for some.

I'm still experimenting with my Morley Power Wah placement to see where it works best for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021