1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where do you place your Wah-Wah Pedal in your signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The Tech21 XXL is very intense as a Distortion, and running it before my 105Q sounds huge. Now that I blend my effects with clean, it still sounds huge but remains the original clarity. Sounds lovely, and even more so if I run an octave down into the distortion and then into the wah. Things sound pretty hectic.

2. I second that, except I switch OD and distortion around. I use a Big Muff Pi before my Dunlop Cry Baby Bass and follow it up with an Ibanez Phathead pedal. Having the wah cuts down on my volume, so I use the overdrive to give it a little extra punch.

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I used to place my wah right at the beginning, but thanks to the sage-like advice of Boo, I now place my distortion and amp sim up front. I'll try my chorus, phaser, and Rotary Ensemble in the front of my wahs tonight.

4. Currently I have my bass>105Q>bassballs>EHX-BBM>OC-2>CEB-3>amp but I think i'll have to try the bass>bassballs>bassbigmuff>105Q>OC-2>CEB-3>amp

5. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +1
    I put my envelope filters and wah's before fuzz/overdrive/distortion.

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    yeah....my wah goes before distortion as well.

Don't make it right....just makes it mine.;)

7. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco

i've set my chrome morley power wah fuzz after my depth charge and the results are an absolute terror. toe down it sounds like shrapnel pouring into your ears. truly horrific bliss, but sends my amp into a clipping fiesta. i've stopped caring about the damaging speakers as it's too lovely.

8. jventimusic

jventimusic

Aug 19, 2012
    I have two Crybaby Bass Wahs: One at the front of the chain (right after octave) and one at the very end of the chain. Options!

9. WMDBASSPLAYER

WMDBASSPLAYER

Nov 28, 2014
    Just found this thread! I just got a Cry Baby, (GCB95), and was experimenting with its placement in the chain. I tried wah to preamp/distortion (EHX Battalion) to BassBalls to Bass Clone to Electric Mistress to Memory Toy. The wah sounded terrible with the BassBalls if I put its distortion on and it seemed to get lost under the flanger if I had everything on. Playing with the flanger settings gave some interesting tones with the wah, but overall it was weak. It sounded a little better when I put the wah after the Battalion. I went with the GCB95 because I wanted to hear it with all the effects and decide if I want to mod it.

10. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Bremen
    I put my wah on the shelf. :thumbsup:

11. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    My signal goes Tuner > OD (pretty mild/low gain) > Wah > Tremolo > Chorus > VDTI - split to amp and DI as necessary.

The wah is a Morley Dual Bass Wah (which has a standard wah and a more funk/envelope filter setting). I like to use the OD to give a slightly synthy/EDM vibe to the wah effect which seems to work well in that order.

WMDBASSPLAYER and theunknowndude like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021